PDA

View Full Version : These Boot's are made for Walk'in

Patrick Sparkman
04-22-2012, 06:24 PM
Lots of caterpillars out right now. I saw this one hanging upside down, and took a shot of the feet. It looked interesting so I kept zooming in until I got this image at about 4X. Those soft fuzzy looking hairs are actually barb shaped spines at this magnification. I opened up the aperture a bit because at this magnification the effective f-stop is quite small and diffraction loss becomes really significant. There are always compromises in photography, hence the shallow depth of field.

Canon EOS 5D III, MP-E 65, MT-24 diffused, ISO 200, f10, 200 sec., no crop, processed in LR4 and NIK Color Efex Pro 4. All comments welcome.

Hazel Grant
04-22-2012, 10:40 PM
What a view! like the DOF that makes those barbs stand out!

Steve Maxson
04-23-2012, 09:09 AM
Hi Partick. Very creative use of the MP-E lens and you made excellent use of the tiny DOF available at this magnification. The diffused lighting is superb - this doesn't look "flashed" at all. This is very well done! :cheers:

Ken Childs
04-27-2012, 05:30 PM
This looks fantastic, Patrick! The shallow DOF forces you to home in on those 2 sharp feet and that is how is should be with this shot. Lighting and colors look good. Any idea what kind of caterpillar this is?