PDA

View Full Version : Least Chipmunk

Nancy Bell
04-21-2012, 07:38 PM
Around my house I mostly have only small animals as subjects. This chipmunk stole one of the very few daffodils that managed to come up here at 8,000 ft. in the rocks.

Canon 1d Mark IV, Canon 400 DO IS, 1/1600, f5.6, ISO 400.

C & C most welcome.

dankearl
04-21-2012, 08:54 PM
Cute photo, I wish I had chipmunks in my yard!

Tom Graham
04-21-2012, 10:04 PM
Cute as a button!!! The yellow flower is nice. Chipmunk nice sharp, like his glance at camera and highlight in eye. Would crop some from left side and if it goes square, take bit off right side. Also would burn/darken the rock so chippy is brightest part of image. Tom

Tom Graham
04-22-2012, 12:08 AM
On second thought, not sure I'd crop any.
Tom

Steve Kaluski
04-22-2012, 02:38 AM
Hi Nancy, nice to see you posting here again, lovely image.

I very much like the pose & setting, with a 'killer' BKG to set the whole image off with. If you can, I would try to get a bit more detail in the structure of the flower, daffodil (?) to give it more form, (perhaps dropping the saturation & exposure, with some more clarity) although the light looks quite strong. In addition I would also look at retrieving more detail in the eye, rather than having a solid object. Took the liberty of having a go, plus cropping more to a 3x2 format, but it's all personal choice, just thought there was a fraction too much space. :w3

TFS
Steve

Morkel Erasmus
04-22-2012, 05:54 AM
Cute little guy and great behaviour captured here.
I'm a sucker for oodles of dead space so I prefer your OP to Steve's crop, Nancy.
I do like what Steve did to the flower.
Good to see you posting some again :5

Dumay de Boulle
04-22-2012, 07:31 AM
Fantastic image. The light and detail are great. The BG is awesome and I love the flower..I would only suggest taking some off the top and thats it.

Rachel Hollander
04-22-2012, 02:46 PM
Nancy- nice detail, pose and great bg. I too like what Steve did with the flower. Either comp works for me.

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
04-22-2012, 02:55 PM
Guys, take a look at the eye too. :bg3:

Nancy Bell
04-22-2012, 05:13 PM
Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I actually made 2 images, one with this crop and another without the space on the left. I couldn't decide so it was interesting that most of you had comments about it. I also tried to lower the saturation on the yellow of the daffodil but it is such a pure glowing yellow that I really didn't know how to tame it. But I didn't think about the eye. Thanks, Steve for pointing that out & posting an alternative. I'll have another go at the image.

p.s. Dan, just tell me where you want me to mail you some chipmunks!:S3:

Marina Scarr
04-24-2012, 07:24 PM
This capture really made me smile, Nancy.