PDA

View Full Version : Florida Beach

Don Lacy
04-19-2012, 01:58 PM
Went back to the beach today hoping for some better color in the sky which i did not get so I played around with some compositions and worked further down the beach I now have several compositions in my mind for when I do get the good color.

1D MKIII, 17-40 f/4 at 17mm, 3.2s at f/22, Manual Mode, Evaluative Metered, ISO 200, Tripod, 2 stop Singh-Ray Grad and Warming polarizer

Angelika Schauf
04-20-2012, 12:50 PM
Beautiful soft water and great colors in the sky.

Morkel Erasmus
04-20-2012, 05:35 PM
I like the composition and overall light/colours here Don.

Two things that immediately struck me as being a bit 'off' :w3:

1. There is a very noticeable halo along your horizon. Probably due to selective adjustments since it seems from your tech data that this was a single exposure?
2. Overall the contrast is quite flat. I would add some midtone contrast to see if the 'punch' can come out that this image seems to have?

WDYT? :tinysmile_shy_t:

Don Lacy
04-20-2012, 06:08 PM
[QUOTE]1. There is a very noticeable halo along your horizon. Probably due to selective adjustments since it seems from your tech data that this was a single exposure?/QUOTE]
Thanks morkel for Commenting the halo is also in the Raw file I thought it was atmospheric but now I am starting to think it was caused by the Grad filter not being properly aligned

Rachel Hollander
04-20-2012, 07:47 PM
Don - I like the comp and the soft water. Good points by Morkel. Btw the halo/line is there in your other post too.

TFS,
Rachel

Andrew McLachlan
04-22-2012, 07:09 PM
Hi Don, I love the foreground rocks and agree with Morkel on the halo.

Robert Amoruso
04-25-2012, 06:49 AM
Don,

I like the sky and water. Would pump up contrast in the rocks some. As I mentioned in the other post, be careful not to oversharpen the horizon creating halos.

Andrew Aveley
04-25-2012, 04:15 PM
Yes , great crit provided above :) Great scene and great potential !!! TFS

Jay Gould
04-27-2012, 12:01 AM
Mate,if it were mine and the image was important, fix the horizon. In the future, at 3.2 seconds there is more than enough time to HH the grad and quickly move it up and down to avoid grad lines. What type of SR grad did you use? Hard, soft, or reverse? The sun appears high enough that you possibly could have used a soft lower down and the movement of the filter would avoid the grad line and add some additional contrast at the horizon.

Sometimes with a very light bright mid and foreground, you can take a 1 or 2 stop soft and use it upside down to filter the sun on the water, for example. Kah Kit Yoong taught me that; he does it whenever necessary in situations like this.

Agree with a little boost to the rocks.

Definitely like this image!!

What do you mean that you did not get goo color? What I see rocks!

Cheers Mate