PDA

View Full Version : Morning Glory

Neal Cooper
04-19-2012, 11:53 AM
This is what you get on your first morning in the Kgalagadi National Park if you are extremely lucky. The sun was just peeking over the dunes, when I first spotted her sitting on top of the calcrete ridge surveying the surroundings. She eventually walked down the broken rocks, and marked this huge old camel thorn tree. It is unfortunate to have the twigs in front of her face, but you know what, I'll take half a shot of a Kalahari Leopard any day. :bg3: The light was beautiful and she gave us quite a display.

Canon 1d MKIV
Canon 500mm

1/1600
F/4.0
ISO 320.

Shot from the window of my car.

Rachel Hollander
04-19-2012, 12:53 PM
Neal - Welcome! Nice light and I like the curl of the tail. The twigs are unfortunate as you said. Because she is looking left, you could crop some of the right so she is not so centered and also thereby eliminate some of the busy foliage. Looking forward to seeing more of your images.

TFS,
Rachel

Morkel Erasmus
04-19-2012, 03:58 PM
A big welcome here, Neal...:cheers:
You know how utterly green I am about this sighting, seeing as I have not yet seen ONE Kalahari leopard in many trips over the past few years...:eek3:.

The sweetest of light...and I like the camelthorn backdrop showing an integral part of this ecosystem/landscape. The upcurled tail is also nice. I do wish there was nothing in front of her face...I don't mind dense foliage in African big cat sightings/photos but I do prefer the face to be in the clear. That being said, I would love this in my files.

I do know you have some more shots of this sighting...so I am looking forward to seeing them here. :w3

Tom Graham
04-20-2012, 03:32 PM
Very nice Neal. I love extreme lighting like this!! The environmental background, head turn, tail curled also. Do have another shot whits its left rear leg more into its body?
Tom

dankearl
04-21-2012, 02:43 PM
Really nice light and a nice pose.
Well done.

Mark Wiseman
04-24-2012, 04:33 PM
Hi Neal,
Wonderful light and detail. I agree that the branches/twigs in front of the face do detract from the image, but a wonderful sighting. I always look up at those calcrete cliff edges in the hope of seeing a leopard on that side of the Nossob River.
Thanks for sharing and best wishes,
Mark.