PDA

View Full Version : Pollen-covered Bee On Crocus Petal.

Daniel Cadieux
04-19-2012, 04:53 AM
Last week my son found this cool little fella nestled inside a crocus in our garden. It was rather cold out so I was surprised about this find as there were zero other insects out and about. One advantage about the cold temperature was that this guy was half asleep and moving slow as molasses :-) It was quite windy though, so my son helped me by holding the crocus still...always fun to have a willing helper at home!

Canon 7D + 100mm f/2.8 macro lens, evaluative metering, aperture priority, 1/100s., f/6.3, ISO 800, natural light, handheld (with elbows on the grass), the brighter petal edges in the BG were tamed using the burn tool. Slight crop for comp.

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
04-19-2012, 07:44 AM
Beautiful Capture, awesome colors and sharpness!
Sanjeev

Doug Brown
04-19-2012, 08:32 PM
Really cool Daniel!

dankearl
04-20-2012, 12:10 AM
Very cool. It looks like it is on a purple waterfall.

Steve Maxson
04-20-2012, 08:58 AM
Hi Daniel. Amazing sharpness and detail - especially hh in the wind! I really like the yellows of the bee against the beautiful purple background and all the pollen grains add a nice touch. You have a winner! :cheers:

Anita Bower
04-20-2012, 10:13 AM
Nice job! The bee looks drunk on pollen! Lovely colors and excellent focus. What fun to do this with your son.

Patrick Sparkman
04-21-2012, 02:36 PM
Nice color contrast between the purple and yellow. Excellent composition as the lines of the flower all flow in towards the bee. Only thing that I might change would be to clone out the one vertical white line in the UL background.

Ken Childs
04-21-2012, 05:40 PM
The colors and detail look great! I'd like to see a bit more DOF but it sounds like you did the best you could in tough conditions and the important parts are sharp as a tack! The only thing that bothers me is the area where the white petal edge touches the left leg and the bee's face. A slight move to the left might have given some separation between that petal and the bee. Overall this looks good and those grains of pollen look fantastic!

Ed Cordes
04-23-2012, 09:41 PM
Excellent detail in the bee. The OOF flower with that wonderful color sets this image off.

Carel v/d Sanden
04-26-2012, 02:24 AM
Nice shot
Beautiful collors

Bob Miller
04-26-2012, 06:42 PM
Hi Dan....This image is amazing on so many counts already noted. Hang this one one up....Its a winner! better yet enter it in a contest....I know your son would be excited if it won!