PDA

View Full Version : Anoki - Captive

Grady Weed
04-17-2012, 06:32 PM
This is Anoki, a male, about 4 years old. Weighs about 135 pounds, very active, yet gentle.

Here are the specs: Canon EOS-1D Mark II N, Shooting Date/Time 3/22/2012 1:08:34 PM, Aperture-Priority AE, Shutter Speed 1/1600, Av 2.8, Partial Metering, Exposure Compensation +1/3, ISO Speed 400, Lens EF300mm f/2.8L IS USM, Image Size 3504x2336, RAW, Flash Off, White Balance Mode Auto, One-Shot AF.

This is 90% full frame, a print is a 12x18 in both B&W and Color. I liked this one best. Very minor work in CS4, a small levels, curves, Shadows & Highlights. Let me know what you think. All comments welcome.

Rachel Hollander
04-17-2012, 07:24 PM
Grady - Good to see a wolf and nice howling pose. The bg seems sort of inbetween (for lack of a better description). I wonder if going high key would give greater separation of the wolf. If it were mine, I would probably crop a bit from the top.

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
04-18-2012, 07:40 AM
Hi Grady, nice to see you posting here too. :w3

I can see where Rachel is coming from re High key and this could work, and a slightly tighter crop I think would certainly help. As you had the SS not sure why you felt the need to drop to f/2.8 unless you were trying to lose any sign of fencing? Also with the lens I would expect to see more depth & detil within the subject. I took the liberty to see what lay in the BKG and perhaps having something to tie the image together may also work, WDYT? Perhaps it gives a woodland/forest feel, however I kept it B/W not to distract from the subject?

FYI there is a slight colour shift in the wolf, as the OP wasn't saved as an sRGB file.

Hope to see more from you.

TFS
Steve

Would love to spend time with these guys who I feel, are not well understood.

Grady Weed
04-18-2012, 08:30 AM
Even tho I had 1/1600 here, ISO 400 and @ 2.8, about 15 feet from the subject, no fence in background, the wolf was on a big rock and I was sort of shooting up-wards, hence the bright background, they never stay still, never. So I usually push the limits of the camera and still try to stay safe in the settings. I will take a area image some day to help others see what I am up against here, it might help in understanding some of the issues when photographing these very lovable creatures.

I do appreciate the other perspectives from Rachel and yourself. i will try to re-do a different version and see how it comes out. I will say that this is what I was trying to image, a bright but not to high key whiling trying to retain details and show how much these guys can blend in with the high or low light conditions. I hope that makes sense.

Steve Kaluski
04-18-2012, 08:37 AM
Hi Grady, thanks for the additional info, as it now makes total sense and gives a much better/clearer understanding of what you were trying to achieve and on that basis I think you have achieved it. :S3: I too would love to spend time with these very intelligent, yet clearly misunderstood animals. Look forward to more portraits of Anoki and perhaps others.

BTW Is my memory playing tricks, but you or someone else post an image of this chappie, the name seems to ring a bell?

Thanks again.
Steve :wave:

Grady Weed
04-18-2012, 08:46 AM
Any images of this wolf or any other from Maine would be me.

Steve Canuel
04-19-2012, 08:48 PM
Spending time with wolves, captive or not, is an incredible experience that anyone who enjoys animals should get to experience. I like the color pallette of this image. If mine, I'd crop to the dip in the fur on the left side. One thing I noticed is the two-toned near, top fang. I'd lighten the darker tip to match as it looks almost "ghosted" to me as posted. No one else mentioned it, so maybe it's just me :e3

Grady Weed
04-20-2012, 09:29 AM
Thanks for all of the comments.