PDA

View Full Version : Elephant charge

Andreas Liedmann
04-17-2012, 04:40 AM
http://www.bilderload.com/bild/196920/s6e9453PBO8V.jpg

Picture taken in Etosha NP at Chudop waterhole late in the evening.

EOS 1D Mark IV
EF 4,0 500
f 8 / 1/800 / ISO 3200
Window bracket +Gitzo video head
Raw processing in RPP + noise reduction ,levels and curves in CS5

Rachel Hollander
04-17-2012, 06:38 PM
Nice dof and sharpness. The dust really adds to this. I think the bird is actually a slight distraction (I know sacrilege on BPN:w3). Impressive IQ at ISO 3200.

TFS,
Rachel

Nancy Bell
04-17-2012, 07:35 PM
I love the action you captured in this image with the lifted front leg, the flapping ears, waving trunks and all that dust! I agree with
Rachel that the small bird detracts. I also like that you included a defined foreground as a base for all this action.

Andreas Liedmann
04-18-2012, 12:23 AM
yes i think you are right with the distracting bird,but i don't like to clone that bird out.simply because it was there as part of that scene.

but thanx for your critiques and kind words about the techs and scene.

andreas

Morkel Erasmus
04-18-2012, 03:08 AM
Welcome here Andreas! This is a super photo - love the dust, the gorgeous light and the framing with the one OOF elephant to the RHS without intersecting with the main subject.
:cheers:
At first I thought about suggesting a slight CCW rotation but then noticed the front-runner has his body upright but the head is just cocked. :e3

yes i think you are right with the distracting bird,but i don't like to clone that bird out.simply because it was there as part of that scene.

My stance on cloning exactly.

Andreas Liedmann
04-18-2012, 03:18 AM
Hi Morkel
thank you for your kind words.But i don't understand what means RHS in your comment.Simply because i am german and new to this forum. maybe you can give me a short explanation.

thanx Andreas

Morkel Erasmus
04-18-2012, 03:38 AM
Hi Morkel
thank you for your kind words.But i don't understand what means RHS in your comment.Simply because i am german and new to this forum. maybe you can give me a short explanation.

thanx Andreas

My apologies, Andreas. I means "right-hand side" :bg3:...OOF = "out-of-focus"...CCW = "counter clockwise"

Andreas Liedmann
04-18-2012, 03:40 AM
Thank you vm :w3 Morkel,each time i learn something new !!!!!!

Marina Scarr
04-18-2012, 12:33 PM
Love the action/behavior captured here. Lovely light. Glad you caught the front elephant with his pad off of the ground. Noticed the bird immediately and wouldn't change a thing. For me, it's okay that our eye is drawn to it. In this case, it's part of the story just as all the dust is as well.

Ken Watkins
04-29-2012, 07:08 AM
Andreas,

This is truly marvelous, and taken at one of my favourite waterholes, where I cannot remember every seeing an Elephant, but plenty of everything else:w3