PDA

View Full Version : Gibberbird

Simon Bennett
04-17-2012, 03:56 AM
Gibberbird Ashbyia lovensis photographed near Tibobburra NSW. These birds only occur in the harsh gibber (hard g - aboriginal for stone) deserts of outback Australia. That's a gibber he's standing on.

Canon 7D, EF500mm f/4, skimmer ground pod + mongoose 3.6, kwik camo, audio, ISO400, f/6.3, 1/2000, cropped for composition.

Tom Rambaut
04-17-2012, 06:03 AM
Great to see this bird Simon - love the low angle and the alert on the stone pose. Love those red colours as well. I do not think people will realise where you have to go to see these and how hard they can be to find - saw one close to Mt Wood station last year just outside of this location. HA toward us would be nice. I have only one image of this species but this image is far better.

Rod Warnock
04-17-2012, 06:56 AM
Excellent image, Simon !! Typical pose for the species as often they will anchor on a gibber for long periods (not always when you after an image though :w3 !! Inclusion of enough habitat also adds. That road north from Tibooburra NSW to the Queensland border is always worth a check on any thing this size for this species.
Best regards
Rod Warnock

Melissa Groo
04-17-2012, 11:01 AM
Really like the setting and colors here, Simon. Details on bird look great too. It may be a trifle oversharpened such that it almost has a cutout appearance, but let's see if others think that. At any rate, really nice image!

Frank Schauf
04-17-2012, 11:52 AM
Excellent light, details and bg.

Jonathan Ashton
04-17-2012, 12:08 PM
Love the bird and the gibber it is on, super detail. I suspect I am on the same tack as Melissa but have you been playing with the blur filter, I suspect not due to the very low angle and close proximity I would imagine the DOF is very limited indeed.

Simon Bennett
04-17-2012, 02:47 PM
Thank you all for your comments. No blur has been applied to the background.

Bill Dix
04-17-2012, 03:18 PM
Lovely shot. Particularly the pose and the inclusion of habitat. I only wish for a little head turn. Thanks for the new word, and a new bird for me.

Mark Itol
04-18-2012, 01:04 PM
Great shot. Love the pose, colors, shooting angle, and those stones. I'm fine with the head angle as it is but agree a little more towards the shooter would have been nice. I agree that sharpening seems to have been overdone.