PDA

View Full Version : First Post Baldy

Cam Preece
04-17-2012, 01:43 AM
My first post here. One of a few bald eagles in my neck of the woods. Mid morning shot in sunny Victoria BC. Jpeg file as I used the built in 2x tele on the a77. Slightly cropped for comp.

Sony a77
Sony SAL 70-400 G
1/500
F5.6
400mm
AWB
EV "0"http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5329/6936909248_eae31481a3_b.jpg

Randy Stout
04-17-2012, 11:09 AM
Cam:

A big welcome to BPN! It is a great place to learn and grow as a nature photographer!
'v
Good shooting angle for an eagle. The mid morning sun made it a challenge to get a good exposure. The whites are overexposed, while the darker areas in the shade are blocked, with no detail.

I like the basic composition, with room for him to look into. Would prefer a little more room below for his feet and 'virtual tail'. Even when legs/feet or a tail is cut off by the foliage, or water, it usually works best to leave room for them in the composition.

I look forward to more posts. Please feel free to comment on other folks images, as it is a great way to train your eye, and helps build a sense of community.

Cheers

Randy

Grace Scalzo
04-17-2012, 07:56 PM
Hello Cam! You certainly faced some exposure challenges trying to photograph this bird in harsh light, as Randy pointed out. You have captured the majestic nature of these birds well with the nice pose and nice sharp eye. Hope to see more of your images. As Randy said, do study other images and comment on them. Often someone new to the forum will bring fresh ideas which are always welcome.

Robert Holguin
04-18-2012, 04:12 PM
Great shot. I reallly like the pose and perch, great comp too. Nits already mentioned.
Good job.