PDA

View Full Version : Theme House Sparrow

Richard Unsworth
04-16-2012, 01:46 PM
Captured in the Supermarket Car Park; took me several days - they are always hiding lol

Anyway hope you like him; I do, but I dont like the Supermarket/Town

Processed with DPP, Nik4, PS5

Canon 7D Manual Exposure, f5.6 ISO 400, sun from rear, HH, eV +1.66 ss 1/800
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Arthur Morris
04-16-2012, 06:08 PM
Good head angle and EXP but way over-sharpened with very jangly background BOKEH...

Richard Unsworth
04-17-2012, 12:10 AM
Hi Arthur

hmm...only used Smart at 100, 0.5 as per my normal WF probably didnt need any. Agree BG is jangly; weird small leaved shrubs
should stick with tropics lol

Richard Unsworth
04-17-2012, 02:08 AM
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">Had another go with image from the series I took
this time much more gently processed (20 Detail extraction in Nik, And tone adjust to bird only)
USM on tiff at 100, 0.2 X 2 passes. Lighten blur to BG
I know not the same image - hope mods can allow; its the processing I am concerned about

this time cropped vertical to reduce BG prescence<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Arthur Morris
04-17-2012, 08:00 AM
The BKGR is much better but the bird is overdone. Please post the full frame unprocessed original capture as 1024 wide 200kb JPEG.

Richard Unsworth
04-17-2012, 10:23 AM
OK Arthur; too much detail x I bet but was only 25?

heres the file lets see how it should look :S3:
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Arthur Morris
04-17-2012, 10:27 AM
Richard, Thanks. Please explain what you mean by "too much detail.... only 25."

Richard Unsworth
04-17-2012, 11:00 AM
Just that slider at 25 for detail extraction on the bird ie the default in Nik CE4 was probably not needed or too much?
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Arthur Morris
04-17-2012, 12:57 PM
Thanks Richard, Just to confirm; the image in Pane 6 has had nothing done to it; it was just converted. No Detail Extractor, no nothing, correct?

Richard Unsworth
04-17-2012, 01:16 PM
Correct Arthur

CR2 in DPP

CONVERT AND SAVE AS TIFF

RESIZED 1024 IN PS5

SAVE FOR WEB @ 200K:S3:
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Arthur Morris
04-17-2012, 02:14 PM
OK. Got it now :S3:.

#1: Why create the image with the bird in the center of the frame?
#2: It is very rare that Detail Extractor is applied to the whole image including the BKGR.
#3: Assuming that Detail Extractor was applied only to the bird and only at 25% that can often be way too much as it was to some degree on the image in Pane #4.

I will work on the image when I get home. I am in the car now. Not driving, just in the car :S3:.

Richard Unsworth
04-17-2012, 02:18 PM
1. Didnt think fast enough to change focus point tut tut :S3:

2. Detail extract was not applied to BG in repost which proves your point

3. Copy that; for some reason I start to overprocess; just over enthusiastic about Nik I guess

lets see what you can come up with; respect and thank you for your assistance; do you have a CHAUFFEUR then?:t3(cant spell)
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Arthur Morris
04-17-2012, 02:22 PM
Getting the bird out of the center needs to be at the center of our being, part of the process of making images. What you said in your #2 I already said and knew. As for over-doing things, I do the same thing.... Jim who works for me is driving. See you later and YAW.

Arthur Morris
04-17-2012, 04:38 PM
Sometimes simple is better. Cropped. Added canvas front and stretched. Selectively sharpened only the dark parts of the bird.

Arthur Morris
04-17-2012, 04:39 PM
It has suffered a bit from the large crop....

Richard Unsworth
04-18-2012, 08:49 AM
It has suffered a bit from the large crop....

sure but additional food for thought and 2 smacks for a - poor composition and b - overprocessing haha

it was a rush job governor:tinysmile_shy_t:

thanks for input

Arthur Morris
04-18-2012, 08:51 AM
Yes, learning is good. I wrote this (http://www.birdsasart-blog.com/2012/04/18/know-this-cold-or-give-up-bird-photography/comment-page-1/#comment-204540) just for you (and others here) :S3:.

Richard Unsworth
04-18-2012, 09:17 AM
:5

Arthur Morris
04-18-2012, 09:26 AM
You are welcome :wave:

Norm Dulak
04-18-2012, 05:33 PM
Hi Richard.

Thanks for posting this image. I agree with some of the comments made above and think there may be some room for improvement. Working with your original file, I've made the following changes in PS CS5: I

positioned the bird more to the left in the frame, with a little more headroom and space to look into,
made a modest levels adjustment to provide what I feel is a better saturation level for the bird,
applied very modest degree of sharpening, and
cloned out a brilliant red spot below and to the right of the bird that distracted my eye.

The result is shown in this repost. But thanks for sharing this image.

Norm

Richard Unsworth
04-19-2012, 01:42 PM
Nice work, looks good , thx Norm for having a go, appreciated:S3:
lots of options,preferences and techniques
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">