PDA

View Full Version : EOS-5D MIII/2X III TC/70-200 f/2.8L IS II Hand Held

Arthur Morris
04-15-2012, 08:14 PM
Have been getting lots of question on this combo so I though that I would try it today. Hand held at 400mm. ISO 200 was a screw-up on my part.... ORIG was way under but optimized file looks very nice. 1/400 sec. at f/11 in Manual mode was correct for ISO 400 :S3:.

Don't be shy; all honest comments welcome.

Removed lots of Murphy Law of Nests branches. For details on image clean-up see here (http://www.birdsasart-blog.com/2012/04/15/is-the-eos-5d-mark-iii-2x-iii-teleconverter-70-200f2-8l-is-ii-a-viable-combination/).

Dan Brown
04-15-2012, 08:25 PM
Nice cleanup job, Artie! I don't see any mention of noise reduction in your link to your newsletter? If this was way under exposed, was it not noisy, and if so, how was that handled?

Arthur Morris
04-15-2012, 08:28 PM
Nice cleanup job, Artie! I don't see any mention of noise reduction in your link to your newsletter? If this was way under exposed, was it not noisy, and if so, how was that handled?

Thanks Dan. No noise reduction other than my minimal default in ACR....

Dan Brown
04-15-2012, 08:34 PM
Thanks Dan. No noise reduction other than my minimal default in ACR....Top of the line equipment rock! This would have be a throw-away with my D300!

Marina Scarr
04-15-2012, 08:37 PM
Really like the way they are huddled together here, but esp like all of their toes which add quite a bit of interest.

dankearl
04-15-2012, 08:39 PM
Sweet photo, I see very little noise, I might try to get rid of the droppings on the wood in the LLC.

Arthur Morris
04-15-2012, 08:40 PM
Thanks Marina. I agree, those toes rock; they are my favorite part of the image. Dan, what can I say? I love the camera and I love everything about the files, even the underexposed ones.

Arthur Morris
04-15-2012, 08:42 PM
Sweet photo, I see very little noise, I might try to get rid of the droppings on the wood in the LLC.

Thanks Dan. Funny: I never noticed them till you mentioned them. They look like white paint!

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
04-15-2012, 09:53 PM
Hi Artie, clean shot with great IQ. I guess there is a typo, it should be the 70-200 f/2.8 II and not the f/4. Would u recommend upgrading to5DIII from a 7D for IQ reasons?
sanjeev

Robert Holguin
04-16-2012, 12:52 AM
Excellent shot. Real nice poses, exposed very well, love the comp, and excellent detail.
Well done.

arash_hazeghi
04-16-2012, 02:33 AM
nice exposure and details Artie, both the 5D3/5D2 and 1D4 can handle accidental under exposure very well. great to see the feet as well.

Humberto Ramos
04-16-2012, 06:42 AM
The image lovely, and I´ve seen your cleaning work in your blog, transformation is amazing.
In the LLC is wood or the top of a bucket?

Arthur Morris
04-16-2012, 07:12 AM
Hi Artie, clean shot with great IQ. I guess there is a typo, it should be the 70-200 f/2.8 II and not the f/4. Would u recommend upgrading to5DIII from a 7D for IQ reasons?
sanjeev

It was late :S3:. I corrected my brain typo. Thanks! For IQ the 5D III trashes the 7D. By light years. If you go for a 5 D III, please use this link (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/847545-REG/Canon_5260B002_EOS_5D_Mark_III.html/BI/6633/KBID/7226). If you are in India, please e-mail me for the Landed Cost Calculator PDF. Tanks a stack.

Stu Bowie
04-16-2012, 10:07 AM
Hi Artie, nicely framed between the foliage on both sides, and I like their huddled poses. Excellent whites, tack sharp, and the yellows of their bills stand out very well.

Frank Schauf
04-16-2012, 10:38 AM
Nice composition and excellent expsoure control and sharpness.

Kaustubh Deshpande
04-16-2012, 01:11 PM
Artie...agree the toes really make difference. great details overall. IQ looks spectacular.

Jonathan Ashton
04-16-2012, 04:39 PM
Hey Artie I wish my screw ups were as bad as this! Very nice indeed, quite apart from the wonderful detail I like the framing of the shot.

Jay Gould
04-16-2012, 06:00 PM
Hi Artie,

Firstly, you are creating amazing images with the 5D3 and making those of us that bought one very happy we did.

I saw this in your Blog and kept looking at the GIF that showed both the original capture and your without question incredible cleanup.

Q: The bird on the right appears to have "horns"; no offense Mate! Where you removed the stick at the bird's head on the bird's RHS, did you take the feathers from the bird's LHS, flip them, and put them on the bird's RHS?

Arthur Morris
04-16-2012, 08:06 PM
The image lovely, and I´ve seen your cleaning work in your blog, transformation is amazing. In the LLC is wood or the top of a bucket?

Thanks Humberto. It is a branch. All of the clean-up stuff is in Digital Basics (https://store.birdsasart.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=252). Easy to do but a bit time-consuming.

Arthur Morris
04-16-2012, 08:07 PM
Q: The bird on the right appears to have "horns"; no offense Mate! Where you removed the stick at the bird's head on the bird's RHS, did you take the feathers from the bird's LHS, flip them, and put them on the bird's RHS?

Yes. The real question is, "How "horny" would you have been had you not seen the original?"

Jay Gould
04-16-2012, 09:21 PM
Yes. The real question is, "How "horny" would you have been had you not seen the original?"

Honestly, when I saw the opening image before seeing the GIF, I thought that something had been patched. I kept looking at the two "horns" and came to the conclusion that I did before seeing the GIF which confirmed my initial reaction. Sorry!

Artie, Jackie just walked in and I asked her to look at the OP and whether anything bothered her. "No!" She did not focus on the two horns.

Humberto Ramos
04-17-2012, 04:49 AM
Thanks Humberto. It is a branch. All of the clean-up stuff is in Digital Basics (https://store.birdsasart.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=252). Easy to do but a bit time-consuming.

Thanks Artie, already bought the Digital Basics from your web site, just waiting the Nik software upgrade...

Arthur Morris
04-17-2012, 08:03 AM
Honestly, when I saw the opening image before seeing the GIF, I thought that something had been patched. I kept looking at the two "horns" and came to the conclusion that I did before seeing the GIF which confirmed my initial reaction. Sorry! Artie, Jackie just walked in and I asked her to look at the OP and whether anything bothered her. "No!" She did not focus on the two horns.

No probelma and I would really love to believe your version but I have been doing this for too long.... As a lawyer you know what they say about eye witnesses. Whenever I have posted the after and asked "What did I do" folks are always pointing out "obvious" this and that that was in the original :). I suppose that this could be a first....

Karl Egressy
04-20-2012, 07:30 AM
Great details in the white, nicely framed. I seem to recognize a little noise in the blue, or might be just my high res. monitor.

Arthur Morris
04-20-2012, 10:53 AM
Thanks Karl, The sky in both the TIFF and the JPEG here are noise-free enough for me.