PDA

View Full Version : Disparity

Devank Patel
04-15-2012, 07:01 PM
Hi everyone, this is my first time posting here :) very excited to be a part of this forum!

I took this photo on a sunny day with some clouds at the Red Rock Canyon State Park, CA

Settings:

Camera Canon EOS 5D Mark II
Focal Length 24mm
Shutter Speed 1/8 sec
Aperture f/14
ISO/Film 100

As far as editing goes, I did push the vibrancy and saturation to play the contrast between the reds and blues and it is intended to be a little stronger than what we are normally used to. Hence, the title.
There are some clipped highlights, which I might restore using another exposure. Not sure yet.

Any and all comments and critiques welcome! :)

Thanks!

Robert Amoruso
04-15-2012, 09:56 PM
Welcome to the forum Devank.

I like the composition and the strong vertical lines of the canyon. I am not keen on the extreme washed-out look of the sun-drenched area outside the canyon. I feel blending a different exposure as you suggested would be a better strategy.

I am looking forward to more of your images or perhaps a reworked version of this one.

Morkel Erasmus
04-16-2012, 05:21 AM
Welcome here Devank! My thoughts on this image echo what Robert said. I would love to see more detail/definition in the BG scene, and blending back a darker exposure should do the trick...looking forward to a repost! :cheers:

Dennis Bishop
04-16-2012, 11:18 AM
I like what you did with the composition, but I agree with the previous comments about the clipped highlights. My first reaction upon looking at the image was that using HDR imaging to get a good histogram would be the way to go with this scene.

Devank Patel
04-16-2012, 03:19 PM
Welcome to the forum Devank.

I like the composition and the strong vertical lines of the canyon. I am not keen on the extreme washed-out look of the sun-drenched area outside the canyon. I feel blending a different exposure as you suggested would be a better strategy.

I am looking forward to more of your images or perhaps a reworked version of this one.

Welcome here Devank! My thoughts on this image echo what Robert said. I would love to see more detail/definition in the BG scene, and blending back a darker exposure should do the trick...looking forward to a repost!

I like what you did with the composition, but I agree with the previous comments about the clipped highlights. My first reaction upon looking at the image was that using HDR imaging to get a good histogram would be the way to go with this scene.

Thanks Robert, Morkel and Dennis!! I will be reworking this image soon to get the details in blown out/washed out areas back, I was hesitating as I liked the fact that there was detail in the foreground and no detail in the background and since I was playing the contrast between them by color, I thought doing this would further accentuate that. But I will blend in a darker exposure and see how that turns out!

So quick question, if I was to post a reworked image based on the feedback, is it okay to post in this thread or should I be starting a new one ?

Thanks again for stopping by and the great feedback! :cheers:

Dave Mills
04-16-2012, 11:36 PM
Hi Devank, you can put a repost of the image in the same thread...

Devank Patel
04-17-2012, 02:43 AM
Hi Devank, you can put a repost of the image in the same thread...
Thank you Dave!

So unfortunately I had only captured a -1 ev image, The difference in the brightness where I was standing and outside was a lot more than the images that I had captured, this is what I have managed to restore, couldn't go any beyond this.

Your thoughts ?

Thanks,
D

Dennis Bishop
04-17-2012, 12:38 PM
I'm not sure, but this might be even more appealing than if you had a shorter exposure with which to work. It emphasizes the disparity in lighting in the two areas without having the outside so blown out it can't be appreciated. No question, though, about the re-post being better.

Don Lacy
04-18-2012, 06:54 PM
Hi, Davenk, The repost id better but I still think there is to much contrast between the dark and light tones so I pulled the snow down even more and lighten the canyon walls to even them out.

Devank Patel
04-19-2012, 01:18 PM
Thanks! will keep that in mind next time :)

Morkel Erasmus
04-23-2012, 04:39 PM
I tried to work with your repost, Devank, but couldn't bring down the BG exposure without making it look very unnatural.
Next time try and shoot from -3EV :S3:

Devank Patel
04-23-2012, 04:43 PM
Thanks Morkel, Yep I had the same results. Will make sure to bracket better next time ;-)