PDA

View Full Version : Between the White Reflections

Arthur Morris
04-14-2012, 09:43 AM
This Western Grebe was photographed on the recently concluded Morro Bay IPT with the Canon 800mm f/5.6L IS lens and the EOS-1D Mark IV. ISO 400. Evaluative metering at zero: 1/640 sec. at f/10.

Don't be shy; all honest comments welcome.

Click here (http://www.birdsasart-blog.com/2012/04/13/eos-5d-miii-eos-1d-mark-iv-gear-strategy/comment-page-1/#comment-203171) for my EOS-5D Mark III/EOS-1D Mark IV gear strategies.

Tonal Contrast and White Neutralizer from NIK's Color Efex Pro 4; click here (http://www.birdsasart-blog.com/2012/03/10/one-songbird-imageso-many-lessons-count-em/) and scroll down for a tutorial and/or to save 15% on all NIK purchases.

Randy Stout
04-14-2012, 11:51 AM
Artie:

Your grebe is sharp, well exposed, love the 'hairdo'. Water color is lovely.

I find the bright patterns in the water a bit distracting, though I can kind of see a similarity of the upper patterns to the curve of the neck.

Cheers

Randy

arash_hazeghi
04-14-2012, 12:02 PM
sweet image Artie, I yet have to get a good shot of these guys

Arthur Morris
04-14-2012, 12:18 PM
Artie: I find the bright patterns in the water a bit distracting, though I can kind of see a similarity of the upper patterns to the curve of the neck. Cheers,Randy

I love the reflections :). Confused by your "upper patterns" comment; the image including the neck is pretty much right out of camera....

dankearl
04-14-2012, 02:02 PM
Beautiful bird, I think the water looks kind of cool, like ice cubes.
Maybe a bit lower angle if that was possible.

Randy Stout
04-14-2012, 03:11 PM
Artie:

The lower portion of the water, at the level of the bird and below, has many fine silver white reflections.

The upper portion of the picture has the more intact white reflections from something out of frame.

I feel that the many fine, bright patterns in the lower portion of the frame pull the eye away from the bird.

Personal taste.

Cheers

Randy

Jonathan Ashton
04-15-2012, 03:11 AM
A really beautiful image all techs perfect, my only slight reservation is the shooting angle, the image would have had more impact had it been taken from a lower angle.

Jack Breakfast
04-15-2012, 09:10 AM
Uncle Breakfast likes the reflections and the shooting angle. Fond of this shot is he! Grebes are a delight to photograph, that's for sure, and when I'm out looking at birds at the water allows for relfections in this vein, I become most tickled indeed! Nice grebe! Huzzah!

Arthur Morris
04-15-2012, 09:56 AM
Artie: The lower portion of the water, at the level of the bird and below, has many fine silver white reflections. The upper portion of the picture has the more intact white reflections from something out of frame. I feel that the many fine, bright patterns in the lower portion of the frame pull the eye away from the bird. Personal taste. Cheers Randy

Surely personal taste. For me they help move the viewer's eye around the frame since they are both in front and behind. And combined with the two white sort of frames they make this one very special for me. Given the choice of this or pure blue water I'd likely take this one :S3:. Different strokes for different golfers! Go Bubba!

Randy Stout
04-15-2012, 10:30 AM
Surely personal taste. For me they help move the viewer's eye around the frame since they are both in front and behind. And combined with the two white sort of frames they make this one very special for me. Given the choice of this or pure blue water I'd likely take this one :S3:. Different strokes for different golfers! Go Bubba!

Artie:

One of the best things about photography, lots of valid ways to look at an image, and a variety of effective treatments. Otherwise, it would be pretty boring.

I suspect for example, that you would not be a fan of the lighting on the loon I posted on friday, too off axis, but for me it really speaks to the experience of being out on the lake at sun rise with the loons.

Cheers

Randy