PDA

View Full Version : A Quartet of Crocuses

Bob Miller
04-13-2012, 06:55 PM
I was attracted to the brilliant whites of these crocuses in my backyard. i was pleased with the composition....Would like to hear comments!
Nikon D3s
1/40 at F16
ISO400
105 macro

Dennis Bishop
04-13-2012, 10:11 PM
The diagonals formed by the crocuses and where the ground joins the black background are good elements. I also like the crocuses against the black and the rich browns of the rhododendron (?) and other leaves. However, I felt it better to let the flowers play a larger role, so I played around with some cropping from the top and bottom as well as a small amount from the left. In the process, I moved the flowers proportionally higher in the image, which I thought would enhance the composition.

Dan Brown
04-13-2012, 11:17 PM
Nice group of flowers, Bob. I like the comp and exposure. It appears that you used a black card as a background, which is fine with me, but the straight edge of the card is very obvious on the right side of the flowers. You could clone the leaves up into the card, breaking the straight line. Or, reshoot and stick the card into the ground!

Ken Childs
04-14-2012, 03:34 PM
Bob, the white flowers on the black BG look great and I agree the some needs to be cropped from the top....I'm not sure any needs to be removed from the bottom but I do like Dennis' repost. The sharp edge of the black BG is problematic.....it's obvious that you placed something there. With a subject like this that's so close to the ground and therefore close to the BG, I'm not sure an artificial BG can be used effectively as long as you are trying to capture the base of the plant. Maybe placing some black mulch around and behind the flowers would work better.

Steve Maxson
04-16-2012, 01:00 PM
Hi Bob. This is a beautiful group of flowers in very attractive soft light. You have nice detail in the whites and good overall sharpness at f/16. I like the repost by Dennis that lessens the amount of black space at the top. The black background has already been mentioned - IMO the straight bottom edge of the background detracts from an otherwise very strong image. :S3:

dankearl
04-20-2012, 12:13 AM
Very nice, I prefer the comp of the OP, but I would tone down the whites a tad.

Anita Bower
04-20-2012, 10:20 AM
I like how the flowers stand out against the black bg. The dead leaves and debris at the bottom add interest and don't detract, probably because they are darkish. I would crop some off the top, but leave the bottom as is. You might be able to clone onto the like of the black bg to make it disappear. Lovely composition and image.