PDA

View Full Version : Into the Mystic

Stuart Dahne
04-14-2008, 06:40 AM
While on vacation last week we didn't have a single sunny day so my goal was to make "lemonade".
This shot was taken at "Prime Hook NWR" in Delaware.
Here are the particulars:
Date Taken 2008-04-10 08:06:04
Camera Canon EOS-1D Mark III
Exposure Time 0.0769s (1/13)
Aperture f/11.0
ISO 50
Focal Length 23mm (29.9mm in 35mm)
Flash flash did not fire
Exposure Program aperture priority
Exposure Bias 0 EV
Exposure Mode auto
White Balance auto
Color Space sRGB

All comments and critiques are valued.

Alfred Forns
04-14-2008, 07:38 AM
Hi Stuart !!!!

Do like what you were trying here !!! Lemonade was made !!!! Love the mood and feel Got a couple of suggestions

Would crop some from the left to have the birds closer to the edge (about halfway) Would crop from bottom and end up with horizon in the center of the frame For this image I think it will work Don't like so much empty space at bottom Would also do slight contrast changes on the shore to give more of a 3D effect

Something I don't understand is the settings At this distance you don't have much problem with dof so not sure why the f 11.0 and the most puzzling is the ISO Why would you want to go down to 50 A much higher can give you good shutter speed You don't need to have the image soft to create a soft look !!! Do like it a lot as presented Really like seeing adaptation to the conditions !!!

Linda Robbins
04-14-2008, 07:40 AM
Lemonade it is! I like the early morning tranquil feel to the image. I might consider cropping a bit off the bottom to about the top of your copyright, and a little off the left side. Very nice.

Stuart Dahne
04-14-2008, 08:19 AM
O.K. I just love the input.
Al, I really appreciate your input, my thoughts for my settings were that with the fog as thick as it was that the higher f stop might help with the contrast, I am very new to shots like this so any explanations would be greatly appreciated. The original shot has the horizon almost dead center and this crop was to be more in line with the rule of thirds.

Peter, I love the panoramic crop.
Thanks Again!

Alfred Forns
04-14-2008, 08:59 AM
Hi Peter Rules are made to be broken !!!!

Do go with what looks good and appeals to you Rules are helpful as a guide but keep your options.

Higher f stop will give you more dof but that is about it Even with soft looking images you wand sharp elements like the outline of the trees Peter did exactly what I was talking about with the crop Would even go with a crop from bottom.

I worked the image and did the same crop as Peter with additional to the right Increase density on the shore line from right to left for depth and selectively sharpened the top of the trees and it s reflection

Alfred Forns
04-14-2008, 09:00 AM
Looking at the more pano version I like it more My crop could be further cropped top and bottom for more of a pano look !!!!

Steve Maxson
04-14-2008, 12:03 PM
I like this, Stuart. This is a very moody image and could be viewed in a variety of ways. Frankly, I like all 3 crops. I think it is largely a matter of taste with this one and the look you are trying to present.

Stuart Dahne
04-14-2008, 10:32 PM
O.K.
First off, thanks for all of the input and explanations, they are greatly appreciated.
Here is another crop that I have tried, do you think that there is too much space to the left?

Roger Clark
04-15-2008, 12:08 AM
I love the original image! The panos compress the depth that the original has. The dark foreground leads the viewer's eyes up to the birds.

Technical question: I see banding. Is that due to jpeg compression or was the original highly stretched?

Did I mention I really really like this image? I do. Maybe it should be posted in the landscape forum.

Roger

Roger Clark
04-15-2008, 12:11 AM
my thoughts for my settings were that with the fog as thick as it was that the higher f stop might help with the contrast, I am very new to shots like this so any explanations would be greatly appreciated.

Stuart
f/stop should not change contrast, but certainly helps make a large depth of field.

Roger