PDA

View Full Version : Winter's Last Gasp

Grady Weed
04-14-2008, 05:56 AM
This was imaged just after the last winter storm of the season. The winds were howling, almost too much to stand. We have seen some seriously strong winds, in excess of 90 MPH, here since we moved here 20 years ago. These were not that bad, but strong enough. I wanted to show the seas, how they can be rough, full of energy. I like this particular lighthouse. She must see some spectacular waves.

Canon EOS 5D, Shooting Date/Time 4/5/2007 11:28:56, Tv(Shutter Speed) 1/500Sec. Av(Aperture Value) F22, Evaluative metering, Exposure Compensation -2/3, ISO 400, Lens EF28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM, Focal Length 28.0 mm. On tripod with cable release.

What do you like? Are you a lighthouse fan? Do you have any to share? Thanks for taking the time to look and please leave a comment.

ADDED: This is the South Portland Headlight. It is the most photographed headlight in the world. It was 10-20 below 0 with wind chill when this was taken. COLD!

Jim Poor
04-14-2008, 06:57 AM
I've always had a dream of traveling the coast visiting lighthouses. I actually have an image or two of a lighthouse in CA, but I thought it would be too much hand of man for this forum.

I'm still figuring out this landscape / scenic thing, but I like the composition of this image. I think there is too much white everywhere for my tastes though.

Steve Maxson
04-14-2008, 10:31 AM
I like it, Grady. This image has winter - cold - and storm written all over it. In my view, all the white that Jim is uncomfortable with just gives it more more of a wintery feel. Different strokes for different folks. :) I don't get to see too many lighthouses around here (for obvious reasons) and the few photos I have are pretty bland looking compared to the ones you've been posting recently.

Roman Kurywczak
04-14-2008, 10:51 AM
Hi Grady,
Love the power of this image. No problem with the whites.....as they show the fury of the sorm. I also like the circular bowl effect that you have made with the rocks. Very well done.

One of my photo tours is to do lighthouses and puffin. I have been doing this tour for 5 years now and still love it every time. A few shots can be seen here; http://www.roaminwithroman.com/website%20htm%27s/lighthousePuffinSplash.htm
I also have a few in my other galleries/scenics and in my California/Yosemite one. This is the shot that started the obsession; http://www.roaminwithroman.com/LandScenic%20web/ScenicLandscape%20htm%27s/PeggysCoveMorn.htm Lighthouses are the only non nature things that I will make an effort to go out of my way and shoot. Something has drawn me to them. I will be heading up there this year.....from July 12-20th. (didn't change the website dates as the tour is sold out)....but I'll keep you posted when I'll be by Portland headlight. I'm also thinking of making a special winter trip to shoot some lighthouses in the great lakes region. So many things to shoot.........so little time!
Roman

Stephen Stephen
04-14-2008, 11:38 AM
Very nice Grady. Having grown up on the Bay of Fundy this sea brings back fond memories. I do have some lighhouse images to share later. Where was this image created and what is the name of the lighthouse?

David Steele
04-14-2008, 01:25 PM
Well done Grady, my comments aboth this image would mirror Roman's.

David Kennedy
04-14-2008, 01:54 PM
Grady,
Without question, of the views of this lighthouse you've posted, this is my favorite. I would suggest cropping from the right to eliminate the rock in the lower RH corner. It's not connected to the foreground (I realize that it is, but the part of the shoreline that connects it is beyond the scope of the frame) so I would excise it or cover it up by cloning some of the incoming surf into that corner.
The only other thing I would suggest (and performed) was a slight Curve tweak to pull some more detail out of the shadows while leaving the highlights pretty much where they were. Nicely done!

Cheers,
David

Harold Davis
04-14-2008, 06:30 PM
grady, being from NC, i am a huge lighthouse fan. i love your image!! fantastic. love the snow and the rough seas. really captured a mood in the scene.

Michael Pancier
04-14-2008, 06:51 PM
my favorite lighthouse and great shot. how cold was it when you shot this? I like David's crop suggestion as well. Makes me want to hit Maine again soon.

Steve Maxson
04-14-2008, 06:51 PM
While David's tweak and repost does indeed bring out more detail in the rocks, in my view, it changes the whole mood of the image. So which is better? My vote goes to the relatively dark and foreboding original version. :)

Todd Frost
04-14-2008, 07:38 PM
Nicely done Grady ! Love the mood of the original better myself.

Todd

Robert Amoruso
04-14-2008, 11:00 PM
I think the original looks more "angry" with the darker shadows. Definitely the best of your series at this location Grady. I agree with David's suggest on the lower right rock - crop or clone it out.

Gus Cobos
04-15-2008, 10:22 AM
Fantastic image Grady,
Love the mood and that cold winter touch from Mother Nature. The dark clouds makes the light houst stand out...CONGRATS...:cool: