PDA

View Full Version : Theme An important Sparrow for Daniel C.

Jack Breakfast
04-11-2012, 08:40 PM
This imaginary conversation took place today between my countryman Daniel Cadieux and yours truly:

JB: Daniel! I took this nice picture of a sparrow for you! You know, for April's theme! I noticed that not too many people were submitting pictures of sparrows and I wanted to help out!
DC: Actually doofus, house sparrows are weaver finches, technically speaking, but thanks for the picture, I guess.
JB: Wow! Live and learn! How can you be so sure?
DC: Listen pipsqueak, I've forgotten more about little brown birds than you'll ever know.
JB: Gee! I see your point! It's a taxonomical disaster, I guess!

et cetera...

If I ever meet him, I hope he'll talk to me that way, but he seems pretty nice, so I doubt it.

Anyhow, this picture was taken with the Canon 7D and 70-200 f4L. iso800, 1/400, f8.

All comments and suggestions including: "No more imaginary plays on BPN, simpleton" shall be welcomed with open arms by y.t.
Thanks in advance...

dankearl
04-11-2012, 10:17 PM
It is a nice sparrow photo, needs a bit of NR on the BG, I think.
I don't know what the "conversation " was all about?

Jack Breakfast
04-12-2012, 10:49 AM
The "conversation" is a silly joke that hopefully won't get me reprimanded by anyone.

Frank Schauf
04-12-2012, 11:23 AM
Great pose and setting you have here.

Daniel Cadieux
04-12-2012, 11:46 AM
Ha ha! Funny imaginary conversation, but I've never used the terms doofus or pipsqueak...not sure I will any time soon either (except for just now)!:S3:

You are right about the weaver finch part but since a long time a ago we decide to call this species a "House Sparrow" or "English Sparrow" then we'll let it slide for the theme...

I like the flowery perch, and the fact we see a foot in there. I do wish the subject was not as obstructed by the perch, and the eye seems a little odd to me (I'm thinking you needed to do some work on it). Good details on the head and chest. Here is another example of where some fill-flash would have been good for the image.

BTW, not sure if you are a hockey fan or not...but Go SENS GO!!!!

Jack Breakfast
04-12-2012, 12:42 PM
Daniel, you stout-hearted Canadian with eyes of an eagle...I posted the WRONG photo. Against my better judgement, I worked on the h. sparrow's eye, something I swore I'd never do. I tinkered for a while and eventually gave up, finding the whole procedure ridiculous. Or to be even more truthful: finding my lack of skill ridiculous, I gave up! Anyhow, I had no intention of pulling a fast one on anyone...here is the original picture, with the cloudy eye and all...
And no, my hockey days are behind me...being a Canadian who doesn't care for hockey has gotten me into trouble before. I like baseball, national league baseball at good ballparks. But who cares? Many thanks for your comments...

Richard Unsworth
04-12-2012, 01:13 PM
:S3:

Jack - you are talented; write a tune for it and pop it on your next album!
:S3:how about the "PHOTOSHOP BLUES, FEATURING , "DONT GIVE UP ON IT BABY..."

your sparrow is a very nice shot, repost is much better of course
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Jack Breakfast
04-12-2012, 01:15 PM
Bless your heart, Richard! I will take your advice...royalty cheques forthcoming...we split 50/50...

Richard Unsworth
04-12-2012, 01:17 PM
Very generous lol<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Daniel Cadieux
04-12-2012, 01:28 PM
Daniel, you stout-hearted Canadian with eyes of an eagle

...or is that eyes of a sparrowhawk (gotta keep it theme related!)

Jack Breakfast
04-12-2012, 06:07 PM
HA! very clever...

Jonathan Ashton
04-13-2012, 08:55 AM
Jack as soon as I saw the original I thought someones been monkeying around with the eye, the repost I think is bordering on the brilliant, excellent detail and an interesting perch, I like the crop too.

Jack Breakfast
04-13-2012, 09:13 AM
Thanks Jonathan, I feel so silly about that eye business, I can't even tell you. I intend to never do it again. I used to obnoxiously assert: no post-processing! Ha! That fell by the wayside quickly enough. Now I say: well alright, let's stick to levels and sharpening and adding canvas and patching and cloning and straightening horizonlines. That's a long way from "no post-processing", I figure. I hope to abandon more of my silly and idealistic principles RE bird photography in the future. I still adhere to these when afield: no flash! no birdcalls! no feeding! no baiting! Never say never...maybe...thanks again for the kind words...