PDA

View Full Version : Coral Cove in Pink

Don Lacy
04-11-2012, 09:33 AM
Another morning at Coral Cove produce this image with some nice pastel colors. I know I post a lot of images of this place but it's only 5 minutes from my house and the constant erosion and depositing of sand from the ocean is always changing the character of the beach.

1DIII, 17-40 F/4 at 17, 4s at f/16, Manual Mode, Evaluative Metered, ISO 100, Raw, Tripod, Singh-Ray warming polarizer and 2 stop ND grad filter

Don Hamilton Jr.
04-11-2012, 09:39 AM
Sweet image Don!! Like the comp,in the port mode!

Jay Gould
04-11-2012, 06:03 PM
Hi Don, I would bring the horizon up to the 1/3 point and loose a lot of the plain blue sky. Otherwise, really cool.

Don Lacy
04-11-2012, 07:13 PM
Another crop version this time in a square not something I usaully like but seems to work well with this image

Jay Gould
04-11-2012, 07:20 PM
I can live with that!! :cheers:

Roman Kurywczak
04-12-2012, 02:28 PM
I too like the squarer crop.....although the OP leaves enough room for a header!

Andrew Aveley
04-13-2012, 09:47 AM
I have been doing a fair number of portrait LS of late and really find the OP pleasing :) may suggest a light grad filter on sky :) TFS

Don Lacy
04-14-2012, 03:06 PM
:) may suggest a light grad filter on sky :) TFS
Hi Andrew thanks for commenting on my image I do not understand what you are requesting here the sky is perfectly exposed.
Thanks again for taking the time to comment and please respond so I can better understand what you are seeing.

Morkel Erasmus
04-14-2012, 03:12 PM
Love the tones here Don. Bottom of the FG feels a bit 'too close to the edge' for me, and I like the crop you did - now when you go back you can investigate doing a 'landscape format' of this scene which will get you away from the square crop and include more of the elements that work well here (that's if you don't get a KILLER sky next time :w3).

No need to make excuses - we all have spots we like to visit close to home...:5

PS: might try and increase midtone contrast just a tad?

Andrew Aveley
04-14-2012, 04:40 PM
Hi there. I find the top left and some of the lhs a little light . My suggestion was to soften that up to balance the image out a little. This is my observation of the image overall and not a reflection of the exposure as a whole. I assume the sunsets to the left hence my comment regarding the use of a soft grad as the exposure is not the same across the entire image.I have used soft grads in similar situations in portrait orientation with great effect. Morkel may have a alternative solution with a little contrast. Hope this makes a little more sense :)

Don Lacy
04-14-2012, 08:18 PM
Hi there. I find the top left and some of the lhs a little light . My suggestion was to soften that up to balance the image out a little. This is my observation of the image overall and not a reflection of the exposure as a whole. I assume the sunsets to the left hence my comment regarding the use of a soft grad as the exposure is not the same across the entire image.I have used soft grads in similar situations in portrait orientation with great effect. Morkel may have a alternative solution with a little contrast. Hope this makes a little more sense :)
Thanks andrew for replying I see what you are talking about and can correct that in post with some dodging and burning.
Thanks again

Robert Amoruso
04-15-2012, 09:49 PM
Don,

I am AOK with the OP and the blue sky which I find particular pleasing and a nice balance to the more warmer pastel colors. A soft GND filter oriented vertically can be quite effective as suggested and I have done it myself, though in most instances I prefer the more natural balance of light to dark when the sun is rising/setting of to one side of the image.

I reposted using a reverse s-curve to tone highlights and open shadows a tad. The strong halos around the rocks are in the OP just more pronounced in my redo.

Rachel Hollander
04-17-2012, 07:45 PM
Hi Don - nicely composed. I prefer the OP with more of the blue sky but also like what Robert has done in his repost. I too noticed the halos.

TFS,
Rachel

Rachel Hollander
04-17-2012, 07:57 PM
Hi Don - nicely composed. I prefer the OP with more of the blue sky but also like what Robert has done in his repost. I too noticed the halos.

TFS,
Rachel