PDA

View Full Version : Hunter Hunted

Brendon Cremer
04-10-2012, 03:29 AM
Had some great photography and sightings recently on our last Duba Plains Safari in the Okavango Delta, Botswana. Silver Eye and her pride followed and hunted this herd of buffalo for 2 days with not luck, but a lot of action with lions chasing buffalo and buffalo chasing lions.

Nikon D3
Nikon 200-400 F4 VR
1/1000 sec @ f5.6
ISO 1000

Morkel Erasmus
04-10-2012, 05:04 AM
Was waiting for this one to pop up here :w3.
Fabulous image, Brendon...an interaction in a setting I would love to experience one day.

Small nit: do you have any more space on the LHS? Would maybe then trade some space to the RHS of the rightmost buffalo for more "running-into" space. I assume this is full frame as shot though, at least on the left. :bg3:

Steve Kaluski
04-10-2012, 05:09 AM
Hi Brendon, one of the most formidable Lioness around, you have to see the two prides to really appreciate the size, power and strength of these animals. The 'cat & mouse games' the two animals play is captivating, but when they manage to take one of the Buff's down, well...

The image tells the story, but wish you had more buffalo in the BKG, the 1000+ is an awesome sight and I think convey more to the scene, but difficult. As the image has no Profile ie sRGB, it looks a tad saturated, plus some reduction of the Black in the blue channel I think would help the colouration of the buffalo's too, to achieve perhaps, a better rendition.

Trust Lizzy looked after you, mine are still in the, 'to be processed' folder. Regards to Wim if you see him.

TFS
Steve

Rachel Hollander
04-10-2012, 06:49 AM
Brendon - great scene and perspective for capturing it. Techs looks good. I hope you took lots of shots of the interaction and will post some more.

TFS,
Rachel

Ken Watkins
04-10-2012, 07:36 AM
Brendon,
Great moment here, that eye looks bizarre, I agree that a little more room on the LHS would have been nice. Colours of Buffalo look OK to me, but better at the other place

Brendon Cremer
04-10-2012, 09:04 AM
Thanks guys, Morkel and Ken, i agree i too would have liked a little more space on the left but this happened so quickly i wasn't quite prepared so just lifted a shot. Steve, it was fantastic as always and Lizzy sends her regards too. The prides are doing very well with only one mortality of one of the younger cubs im sure you would have seen last November. Re the processing i will take a look and repost soon.

Steve Kaluski
04-10-2012, 09:11 AM
Thanks Brendon.

Personally I think a 20% drop in sat, plus the Black in the blue adj, but then as I said, I was looking at an untagged profile image, looking forward to the RP.

Sad news about the cubs, just looking through a few earlier today, obviously still two prides with the one Prime Minister?

Brendon Cremer
04-10-2012, 09:18 AM
Here is a repost with a few adjustment to the colour, i dropped the saturation, dropped the blues and magentas in the buff and also lightened the blacks of the buff a tad.111498

Brendon Cremer
04-10-2012, 09:29 AM
Still Not 100% happy with the colour of buff in the bg but not sure if its just me?

Steve Kaluski
04-10-2012, 09:35 AM
Hi Brendon, to me that looks better, plus the right profile, LOL. :w3 That eye still looks menacing from the fight.

Still Not 100% happy with the colour of buff in the bg but not sure if its just me?

Think you can tweak it a bit more to cool them down.

BTW is that another lion in the BKG?

Brendon Cremer
04-10-2012, 02:04 PM
Thanks steve, will make a few more adjustments and repost. No other lion in the bg its just a young calf.

Morkel Erasmus
04-10-2012, 04:32 PM
this happened so quickly i wasn't quite prepared so just lifted a shot.

I'd be super stoked with a "lifted shot" like this any day :bg3:.
If you do cool down WB, I would do it on the buffs selectively and keep the lion colour as per your last repost.

Marina Scarr
04-10-2012, 07:47 PM
Love the repost and love the story. I have never seen anything like this.

Tom Graham
04-10-2012, 10:07 PM
I saved both images and flip back and forth (with a jpg viewer Irfanview)
Obvious difference is the grass/green in 1 is much more yellow brighter than 2.
Next I see the buffalo are bit more contrasty in 2.
And finally the lion is slightly less saturated in 2 but pops more in 2 because the grass is less bright/saturated than in 1.
Tom
ps - If I do same flip in Photoshop, the above differences are less noticeable. Which to me once again shows that we all here see different colors because we have different monitors. Also, your image 1 has no RGB embedded color profile while image 2 is sRGB - I think??

Sid Garige
04-10-2012, 10:30 PM
Super cool Brandon. She got some character.

Ken Watkins
04-10-2012, 10:54 PM
Brendon,

I would take either as perfectly OK to me.

I take it that the light brown object in the middle BG is a calf which are usually light brown as are calves of most species, all the better to hide in the grass:w3

Brendon Cremer
04-11-2012, 01:44 AM
Thanks all for your comments and advice, much appreciated.