PDA

View Full Version : Standing Portrait

Steve Canuel
04-10-2012, 01:44 AM
Got some time after work for a quick search and found this buck grazing with a few does. Still has a bit of the fuzzy winter fur look to him, they seem to be starting to molt early this year. I was also pleasantly surprised to find my recently acquired refurb could auto focus with stacked 1.4xTCs. 5DMKII, 500/4 with stacked 1.4xTCs (Kenko and Canon), f11, 1/400s, ISO 800, HH from vehicle, small crop all around.

Ken Watkins
04-10-2012, 03:32 AM
Steve,

This is a real beauty and remarkable good IQ considering the amount of convertors used, I hardly ever use one:w3

Steve Kaluski
04-10-2012, 05:15 AM
Hi Steve, like the pose which shows of the form of this guy nicely. Like the eye contact, but wonder if a slight reduction in either the red or magenta my help the lighter (whiter) areas of the body? Same as your previous image, I wonder if a slight crop off the top may help the balance, as the space top & below almost look equal? The BKG colour works well and is in keeping with the animals 'stripy jumper' of a coat. :w3

TFS
Steve

Rachel Hollander
04-10-2012, 06:46 AM
Steve - another one where I really like the tone of the image. Impressive IQ with stacked tcs. Good pose as well.

TFS,
Rachel

Marina Scarr
04-10-2012, 07:48 PM
Nice one and amazed at IQ with the converters. You can even see it's eyelashes. I like the effect of the side light, the pose and the colors work well together.

Steve Canuel
04-10-2012, 08:17 PM
Ken, Steve, Rachel, and Marina,
Thank you for the look and comments.

Jamie Douglas
04-10-2012, 11:14 PM
I am not sure if it processing or the stacked convertors but the IQ in the head does not look as strong as the coat. Nice alert pose though and good work with those convertors.

Jamie

Morkel Erasmus
04-11-2012, 04:30 AM
Great job with the stacked TC's, Steve...and welcome to the world of FF sensors :w3
I would shave some off the bottom as I like the BG more than the FG. I would also consider dodging the shadowed parts of the face just a smidge?

Mark Wiseman
04-11-2012, 04:19 PM
Hi Steve,
I like your image and feel the IQ is more than satisfactory. I would leave the composition as is.
Thanks for sharing and best wishes,
Mark.

Steve Canuel
04-11-2012, 06:34 PM
Jamie, Morkel, and Mark,
Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

Jamie,
I think (but not sure) the IQ difference may be due to the shaggy/scruffly look of the facial fur as compared to the tighter, smoother fur of the coat. They get a little longer, looser hairs during the winter, especially on the face. Here's an unprocessed 100% pixel crop from the shot.

Morkel,
Good call on the shadowed side touch up. Looking at it now I think I may have lightened it too much.