PDA

View Full Version : Sunrise on 59th Street

Eileen Woeller
04-09-2012, 03:00 PM
This is my first post to this forum. Hope to get some pointers and guidance on composition etc.
Canon 40D, 28-135 @ 44mm, f11 @ 1/350 sec, iso 400. Shot with a tripod.

Roman Kurywczak
04-10-2012, 08:02 AM
Hi Eileen,
Haven't been here much but welcome to the forum!
The diagonal of the pier looks good with decent seperation on the pilings. I really like the shadow play you captured too as it adds another dimension. A few things to consider for next time out....while the central sun placement isn't ideal, it doesn't bother me that much as the pilings make a nice diagonal. Offsetting it may work too, so when exploring compositions, try to see if you can get it in one of the ROT positions. Given your settings and that you were on the tripod, I would consider going to f/22.....not for DOF as you had plenty, but for a better sunburst! The smaller the opening.....the better the sunburst usually gets. Fine line between getting one and blowing it out........be careful staring at the sun for long too as you can get blinded. Usually......just a sliver works best. Since you were on the tripod too.....a longer SS to smooth out the water (dump ISO) is also an option. Try both when composing and then you can decide which you like best in the long run.
Surprised no one else has chimed in yet....but they will.

Eileen Woeller
04-10-2012, 08:54 AM
Thanks for the pointers. As I read your post I could really understand what you pointed out. I will give it a try on our next photo excursion. :S3:

Andrew McLachlan
04-10-2012, 06:11 PM
Hi Eileen, Roman makes some good suggestions above. I too really like the shadows in the foreground created by the pilings and I do like the sun centered in the frame for this comp, but would also create additional images with the sun in various positions. Nice work!

Robert Amoruso
04-10-2012, 07:30 PM
Eileen,

I would have tried a central positioning of the sun as you have done here but also suggest moving left and right for alternate versions.

Pile shadows are great leading lines.

Welcome to the Landscape Forum.

Robert Amoruso
04-10-2012, 07:31 PM
Wow, that's funny. I wrote this in the mornign before anyone posted and forgot to hit post it.

Just set down and posted my comment and see that others have similar recommendation.

Eileen Woeller
04-11-2012, 08:22 AM
Thank you for the pointers regarding my post. I am anxious to try your suggestions whenever we get another opportunity to visit this beach. Thanks for viewing my post. :S3:

Don Lacy
04-11-2012, 10:32 AM
This looks like a wonderful spot I would really work it hard again using Romans suggestions would also work this area pre dawn with the soft pastel light and long shutter speeds to smooth out the water.

Eileen Woeller
04-12-2012, 07:54 AM
Thanks for looking at my post. We usually try to get down there several times a year. This shot was taken on a frosty February morning. Got there about an hour before sunrise. The view of the sun over the ocean is awe inspiring, something I never tired of seeing. Thanks again.:S3:

Dennis Bishop
04-12-2012, 10:30 PM
There have been a lot of good suggestions, already. Many of them relating to composition have addressed the position of the sun. It doesn't bother me greatly that it's centered. However, the horizon is very strong, and it's nearly centered vertically. I'm a devotee of divine proportions rather than the rule of thirds (which is a convenient approximation of divine proportions), so I based this alternative composition on that.

I really hated to lose any part of the shadows, but I needed to in order to lower the horizon, which now falls on the lower horizontal divine proportion line. I also cropped a little from the left to bring that same part of the pier to a vertical divine proportion line. In order to bring the remaining top of the pier to the upper horizontal divine proportion line, I added a bit of canvas to the top. That, fortunately, resulted in less cropping at the bottom

Eileen Woeller
04-13-2012, 08:56 AM
Thank you for viewing my post. I see what you mean by repositioning the horizon and adding more sky to the image. It does change the impact of the presentation. As I worked on it I wondered about the horizon line. After completing the work I called in by bff Dave & he really appreciated my hard work. This is totally new to me so I am still learning (a lot of stuff for an old brain). I will work on your suggestions and try to implement some in my next post. Thanks again for viewing. :S3:

Morkel Erasmus
04-16-2012, 03:35 PM
Welcome here Eileen - sorry for the late reply! I like what you did here. The central sun works well for me in the greater scheme of your composition. The shadows and pier structure provide great visual engagement.
Looking forward to see more!

Eileen Woeller
04-17-2012, 08:52 AM
Thanks for viewing my image. This location is a true testament to the power of mother nature. You just never know what you may find at this spot. I love the way the sun displays in the sky both with or without clouds. Thanks for the words of encouragement. :S3: