PDA

View Full Version : Birds around Naples

Chris Algar
04-09-2012, 01:41 PM
Hi all,
My wife and I are visiting Naples, Fl. later this week. From previous trips and Internet research, we have a fair knowledge of places to photograph wildlife but would like some up to date information about bird numbers in places around Naples. On a couple of previous visits to Sanibel, we were disappointed at seeing so few birds and so would like advice about the current situation. Also, how good is Little Estero Lagoon at present?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Chris Algar

Marina Scarr
04-09-2012, 05:26 PM
Hi Chris:

I heard from a photographer who lives in Ft Myers and frequents Little Estero Lagoon that it is like a "graveyard" for some reason. He can't explain it. I am sorry that I have no idea what might be going on in Naples at this time.

Clemens Vanderwerf
04-09-2012, 06:41 PM
I was in Estero Lagoon this morning from 6:45am till about 9:30am and it was indeed pretty mild. The wind direction was a great easterly at about 2-5 knots. One GBH (no movement), two great egrets, two Ibises, couple of Willets and black bellied plovers and in the distance a Reddish egret in the main lagoon. Hardly any activity in the south lagoon. Along the beach the usual suspects: sandelings, ruddy turnstones, and two wilson plovers. All the breeding areas are fenched off, but with no activity visual. Conclusion: about two keepers of this morning.

I was there in February too, but also found the activity pretty slow, although it was better than this morning.