PDA

View Full Version : Mule Deer Reworked

Jamie Douglas
04-09-2012, 12:05 AM
Hi

I went back and reworked my Mule Deer image, see original post here: http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/97037-Mule-Deer (Call it killing time until my wife Janice goes into labour).

Techs, Canon 7D with 400mm F5.6 @F5.6, 1/100, ISO 800, Exp comp 0, Gitzo tripod and Wimberley Head - Version II.

File processed in ACR and PS CS5.

I adjusted the colour tones, used the burn tool to darken the background without loosing the detail in the rain drops, and ran selective sharpening on the deer.
Thaks for all the comments first time around and I think I have made some progress since the first post. But I won't be offended if you disagree :cheers:

C & C welcome.

Jamie

Morkel Erasmus
04-09-2012, 01:52 AM
Good on you for taking it all on board and working it, Jamie.

Just put the 2 side-by-side and here are my thoughts:
Overall colour is more vibrant in the repost, luminosity is also better with more 'pop' on the deer...
The effect of the rain-streaks is better for me in the previous version...
Overall detail looks better indeed.
The sharpening on the deer seems just a bit overdone on this version, might back down on that and compare them again?

Just my 2c...:bg3:

Ken Watkins
04-09-2012, 04:34 AM
I think this version looks a little overworked, in particular the sharpening, the loss of some the rain effect is slightly noticeable. To my eye the colours here look a little too bright and slightly unnatural, I think somewhere between the 2 would be better.

Rachel Hollander
04-09-2012, 07:21 AM
Jamie - I agree that there is more pop on the deer, the detail is better but the deer is oversharpened. I might reduce the yellows on the grass and bg a bit in the repost.

TFS,
Rachel

Xavier Maessen
04-09-2012, 10:34 AM
Hi Jamie, I agree with previous comments about the oversharpening oin the deer. I don't mind the slightly artificial colors of the moss, though.

Xavier

Steve Kaluski
04-09-2012, 01:14 PM
Hi Jamie, I think you may have had more pressing matters to attend to when you did the RP perhaps, so... :w3

- Feel the colours on the tree & grass was better in the OP
- In darkening the BKG on the RP you have lost a bit of clarity/detain in the rain streaks
- The nose & eye is better in the RP, but the tone/colour of the coat is somewhere between the two
- Sharpness is too much in the RP, need to ease off, again somewhere between the two postings.

If dates are right, keep me posted on developments this week when you can. Also looking out for your first Ursus americanus of this year. :bg3:

Good luck Jamie.

Steve :wave:

Jamie Douglas
04-09-2012, 11:19 PM
Thanks for the continued feedback everyone. I spent a little time this evening tweaking the file but I just can't seem to get it to a level that I am happy with and it just looks overworked now. I managed to get a better balance in the colours but still working on darkening the BG and keeping the definition in the rain drops. It might not be a super image but I am determined to get it to a point where I am happy with it.

Thanks for all your help. You have provided me with enough food for thought and pushed me to learn some new PS skills.

Steve, I went out searching for Ursus americanus in the valley today but no signs yet. They should be about any day now so I need to find time inbetween my son showing up and moving house before the end of this month. Busy times ahead but thank god I have scotch to calm the nerves :cheers:

Jamie

Steve Kaluski
04-10-2012, 02:01 AM
It might not be a super image but I am determined to get it to a point where I am happy with it.
Hi Jamie, like Rachel, I am sure your perseverance will pay off.

Keep us posted re Jr and the Scotch I thought was for medisonal purposes? :bg3:

Good luck to you & Janice.

Steve :wave:

Morkel Erasmus
04-10-2012, 06:03 AM
All best for the coming weeks, Jamie! Do keep us posted...:5
PS: and stay at it - when you do hit that processing breakthrough you will be elated :w3

Sid Garige
04-10-2012, 10:40 PM
PS: and stay at it - when you do hit that processing breakthrough you will be elated :w3
Agree with Morkel 100%

Jamie Douglas
04-10-2012, 10:59 PM
Thanks guys. I will crack it soon enough. If only it was as easy as cracking open a bottle of scotch... for medisonal purposes that is. Honest.

Baby was due today but no signs of him yet.

Jamie