PDA

View Full Version : Mating Tiger Beetles

Patrick Sparkman
04-08-2012, 06:15 PM
I have tried for years to photograph these iridescent beetles, but they have always been too wary. While out a couple of weeks ago, I found these two on a log. They were pre-occupied, so I was able to get a few shots before they took off.

Canon 5D II, MP-E 65, MT-24 Flash diffused, f16, 1/200 sec. Processed in Nik Color Efex Pro, few distracting elements removed with quick masks in PS.

All comments and critics welcome. I know the OOF antenna across the eye is bad, but they did not tolerate me moving down to try to get it out of the way and I think it will look funny to clone it out.

Steve Maxson
04-10-2012, 12:10 PM
Hi Patrick. As you say, Tiger beetles are tough to photograph - lucky that you found them paying attention to each other, rather than you. :S3: Interesting how the male seems to have a firm grip on the female with his mandibles. Nice job of diffusing the light from the flash and you have good sharpness where you most need it. The antenna across part of the eye is not ideal, but it doesn't really bother me. I wonder if you could bring up some of the darkest areas a little along the sides of the beetle's bodies? Overall, this is very nicely done!

Ken Childs
04-12-2012, 10:37 AM
Hi Patrick, these things are really tough to shoot because they rarely hold still and when they're moving, they're just a shiny green blur! I'm wishing for more DOF....maybe taking a small step back could have helped with that.

I'd be interested to see what this might look like with the bugs taking up less of the canvas. Do you have any versions like that?

Patrick Sparkman
04-12-2012, 08:54 PM
Yea Ken, they look like little green bullets flying around. I wish I had some more views, but it was pretty dark and hard to see, and they were still running around even though they were coupled.

Here is a close-up crop showing the "tender" way the male is holding the female.

bhavya joshi
04-21-2012, 10:19 AM
Well Behavior captured.. Patrick. Thanks for sharing the holding position.. nice Details, sharpness and angle you got.