PDA

View Full Version : Bunch of Banking Buffleheads

Kenn Christensen
04-13-2008, 09:54 PM
This was the scene in Northern Wisconsin earlier today with the air temp at 24 F and open water a VERY scarce commodity.. I was sitting on one of the only open pot holes in the area.. various waterfowl were passing through.. trumpeter swans, loons, common mergansers, hooded mergansers, goldeneyes, buffleheads... most just swung wide.. spotted me and left with afterburners engaged... but this group of buffleheads were more tolerant than most and they swung by.. cut a tight bank into the stiff north wind and landed right in front of me.. I caught them in a nice pose right in mid bank.... if only that male hadnt had his foot intersecting the female!.. *sigh*...
1d mkIII
500 mm f4 IS
F8
1/3200
ISO 800
+2/3

Maxis Gamez
04-13-2008, 10:02 PM
Hi Ken,

Very nice group. The whites looks hot in my laptop. I'm sure you can separate the male if you work hard at it. The wings positions are priceless.

Mike Lentz
04-13-2008, 10:03 PM
It looks like a painting! I was over in your state today... Crex meadows in Grantsburg.

Kenn Christensen
04-13-2008, 10:07 PM
Max..I might have overdone the USM a tad.. I see a slight halo in some places too...
Mike... yeah.. you probably went very close to me.. no doubt you crossed at Taylors Falls.. I was in Taylors Falls today.. this afternoon.. did a bit of work on the Croix there.. buffleheads were all over the river... and lots of other birds were haning there.. a bug hatch on the river had the swallows going crazy.... it actually was above freezing this afternoon... wow.. heat wave...

Maxis Gamez
04-13-2008, 10:15 PM
Kenn,

The USM looks good to me from my laptop. I have to agree with Mike. Looks like a painting, but I would try to separate the male for sure!

You can also add a little more canvas from the top.

Robert O'Toole
04-13-2008, 10:23 PM
Wow the first 2 are awesome, perfect bank on the first one and the sharpness is great also.

Maxis is right about the whites and the foot.

Robert