PDA

View Full Version : Little Corella

Tom Rambaut
04-08-2012, 06:01 PM
From a few weeks back.

Feeding on grass seed at sundown. The yellow bits are OOF flowers.

1D MK4, 500mm, 1/800 @ 5, ISO 800. Manual mode with tripod. No fill flash and the sun had gone behind clouds. I pushed the ISO up to 800 from 400. 90% of FF.

Thanks Tom

Gary Esman
04-08-2012, 06:47 PM
What a cool shot! Love the facial expression and that little coyness in the eye. Only thing I might do is tone down the back right yellow flower a bit, minor issue and wonderful as presented.

Gary.

Sid Garige
04-08-2012, 07:19 PM
Great shooting angle and excellent details Tom. Great eye contact too. I am with Gary on OFF yellow flower.

Clemens Vanderwerf
04-08-2012, 08:10 PM
Great pose and HA. Exposure with diffused light is good bringing out details in the whites. A bit too tight in the frame, especially at the bottom (feet are cut off). Instead of the yellow oof flower, I find the grass going up to the beak more distracting.

Tom Rambaut
04-08-2012, 08:18 PM
I do have a tiny bit more room on the bottom on the original file. These guys have short legs and the feet here would be behind the grass not below the frame. As this image is showing a natural behaviour of the bird feeding on grass seeds I have to disagree about the grass going up to the beak. It is in context with what the bird was doing at the time.

I could go both ways with the yellow flower.

Clemens Vanderwerf
04-08-2012, 08:23 PM
Now I look closer I see he has the grass in his beak! Keep the grass.

Tom Rambaut
04-08-2012, 08:31 PM
Thanks for taking a second look Clemens. BTW I saw a documentary about big boats that move little boats and thought your name looked simular to the guy on it been interviewed. You?

Clemens Vanderwerf
04-08-2012, 08:45 PM
Yep, that's me.

Alan Murphy
04-08-2012, 08:48 PM
Tom, this is fantastic. The feeding and the low angle are awesome.

Grace Scalzo
04-09-2012, 08:06 AM
Love it, Tom, great behavior, nice habitat, and super low angle gets us right into his world.

Richard Unsworth
04-09-2012, 01:40 PM
Wonderful frame, class, love everything<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Daniel Cadieux
04-09-2012, 04:57 PM
I like this alot too. I agree about the yellow flower (I like it, just needs to be less prominent). I could go for a bit more top and right but still good as is. Well done Tom! :-)

Arthur Morris
04-09-2012, 05:10 PM
Love the behavior. Techs perfect. Close call on the virtual feet. I offer one way to deal with the yellow flower in the repost. In the original it upsets the compositional balance....

Kaustubh Deshpande
04-10-2012, 11:58 AM
Tom, what a shot. great timing. excellent job positioning yourself...IQ looks very good....so does the composition. If you have some space below, my suggestion would be to add it.

Tom Rambaut
04-10-2012, 04:25 PM
Thanks all for the comments - certainly putting more thought into the before-I-press-the-button process of photography. When I started I just ran around like a dog off the lead trying to photograph everything under any conditions.

Looking again it is a bit cut off on the bottom.

Not a big fan of moving stuff around but it does look better.

Arthur Morris
04-10-2012, 05:02 PM
That put a smile on my face. One thing that we do more and more on the IPTs is to teach folks how to see situations, to know when and where and why they should concentrate their efforts. Often when folks are photographing I am simply looking for a better situation....