Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/640
Av( Aperture Value ) 4.0
Metering Mode Evaluative Metering
Exposure Compensation 0
ISO Speed 400
Lens EF500mm f/4L IS USM
AF Mode AI Servo AF
AF area select mode Spot AF

This is another image taken whilst visiting the Yorkshire Dales, this is a male who was calling to other males nearby, no doubt advising then to stay away from his female.
All C & C welcome.

Gary Esman
04-08-2012, 04:13 PM
Nice straight on calling pose. Sweet background with good details in the blacks and nice and sharp. nice job.

Gary.

Xavier Maessen
04-08-2012, 04:38 PM
Beautiful capture. I like the attitude of the male and the blurred background.
I would'nt have minded a bit more space under the bird, though.

Xavier

Tom Rambaut
04-08-2012, 06:12 PM
I like the calling pose but would like to see a bit less on top and a bit more foreground. I would have considered sticking a 1.4 ext on the 500mm if you had it and had time and gone in closer.

Sid Garige
04-08-2012, 07:29 PM
A closer crop if possible can take this image to next level Jonathan.

Clemens Vanderwerf
04-08-2012, 08:17 PM
Great bkgd and heather in the foreground. Would go for tighter crop and more room at bottom.

Steve Kaluski
04-09-2012, 02:12 AM
Hi Jonathan, would like more at the foot of the image, however if this is FF then agree with Sid about a tighter crop. Was this towards Tan Hill?

TFS
Steve

Jonathan Ashton
04-09-2012, 03:17 AM
Thanks for the C&C, everyone, the image is a vertical full crop from the landscape, he didn't stand still for more than one call and then he was off again. I agree a bit more space at the foot would have been nice. I included the background to give a sense of the large open spaces on the moors.

Stan Cunningham
04-09-2012, 02:00 PM
I would keep the crop then because it does that well

Daniel Cadieux
04-09-2012, 05:13 PM
Fine looking bird, shaped like a bottle from this angle :-) I like the calling pose, nice colours, and beautiful BG. I agree more at bottom and a tigher comp would have been ideal but still a stunner.

Arthur Morris
04-09-2012, 07:14 PM
Image quality good enough for a further crop to emphasize the loverly bird. ORIG too dark--the bird much too, too dark, and needs a bit more room below as noted above. For the repost: lightened the whole thing, cropped, selected the whole bird and ran NIK Color Efex Pro Detail Extractor (at about 30%) and Tonal Contrast (at about 45%).

Click here (http://www.birdsasart-blog.com/2012/03/10/one-songbird-imageso-many-lessons-count-em/) for a Color Efex tutorial and to save 15% on any NIK products.

Jonathan Ashton
04-16-2012, 08:30 AM
Artie thank you for taking time to make a repost, I like the detail brought out in the darkest feathers, I have to say however I have some reservations over the red/brown feathers, they appear a bit bright and pale in colour compared to how I remember them. I would value your opinion on subsequent grouse shots if you get time.

Arthur Morris
04-16-2012, 08:36 AM
Artie thank you for taking time to make a repost, I like the detail brought out in the darkest feathers, I have to say however I have some reservations over the red/brown feathers, they appear a bit bright and pale in colour compared to how I remember them. I would value your opinion on subsequent grouse shots if you get time.

Thanks for looking Jon. You can always add a Layer Mask and erase (even at reduced opacity if need be) to fine-tune the results. Post a link or two here and I shall visit :S3:.

Jonathan Ashton
04-16-2012, 10:30 AM
Here is a re-post baring in mind your suggestions Artie.

Arthur Morris
04-16-2012, 10:38 AM
That is a big improvement from the original with lots more detail in the darkest areas. Way to go!

Steve Kaluski
04-16-2012, 11:00 AM
Atie, FYI, the code/15% discount for NIK can only be used for those that reside in the US sadly. :wave: