PDA

View Full Version : Snuggling gadwalls

Jack Breakfast
04-07-2012, 01:58 PM
Greetings folks...this is from the other day. Nice light at the gadwall pond and so I took many pictures, stole their little duck souls over and over again. All this with the Canon 7D and 70-300L at 300mm, iso400, 1/1600, f5.6...what you see here is roughly 65% of the original shot. Also: levels and usm. As always, I'll look forward to your comments and suggestions. Many thanks for considering this picture.

jack williamson
04-07-2012, 03:34 PM
Nice comp and positions of the ducks. The rear duck looks the sharpest. F7.1 or f8 would have probably worked great. The colors in the water are excellent.

Jack

Robert Holguin
04-07-2012, 05:07 PM
Real nice shot. I really like the water color, very nice shot, and great comp.
Well done.

Stu Bowie
04-08-2012, 12:32 AM
Hi Jack, good double, and I like the light and colours. Since these guys were 'idling', I would have traded some ss to create more DOF, as the rear duck is sharper. Comp wise, I would take some off both the top and bottom.

Jack Breakfast
04-08-2012, 04:54 AM
Many thanks folks...I realize that I am in the happy minority who prefers the rear bird in focus, which is perfectly fine with me. It's nothing flippant on my part. My eye prefers it, that's all, at least in certain instances. That said, trading ss for dof would have been wise, it's only that they were doing their wing-flaps as well and I was set to catch them mid-flap...your comments, as always, are sincerely appreciated!