PDA

View Full Version : Wet legs and tricky tripod

Paul Marcellini
01-05-2008, 12:12 AM
is what it took for this shot from tonight out in the Everglades. Composition was giving me trouble. Not sure but this is the best I could do. Took my friend out to give him some pointers on his new 40d, man that screen is big.

C/C welcomed. Thanks for looking.

Paul

20d, 10-22@10mm f18 4s iso200 3 stop soft gnd

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2136/2167338263_93dfd5a14b_o.jpg

Fabs Forns
01-05-2008, 12:16 AM
Paul, your composition looks good to me, maybe moving right and forward a few steps to get the white rock off center?

Love the vanishing point in the dead tree, you did better than we did at the Trail ;)

The transparency and colors of the water are poetry :

Paul Marcellini
01-05-2008, 12:37 AM
Yeah that was my issue, dead center. Its actually the tree sticking out, covered in a nice coat of muck. Your suggestion would be putting me in water up to my chest. =) I think if I can get my tripod aligned on all the rocks and raise it just a bit again, that will be the comp.

Yeah the light didn't look too hot for birds.

Thanks for the comments.
Paul

Fabs Forns
01-05-2008, 12:42 AM
Your suggestion would be putting me in water up to my chest. =) .

I figured that much LOL knowing the place.

What birds? ;)

Jason Hahn
01-05-2008, 08:16 AM
Great scene to work with, the clarity of the water is great. The big issue with the comp you have already pointed out, the centered tree. When I look at this shot I keep wondering how it would look as a horizontal image, with the tree placed lower in the frame. Not sure if that was possible where you were at, but looking forward to your next series from there.

Jason

E.B. West
01-05-2008, 09:19 AM
I must be a centered person, The rock in the middle doesn't bother me. It seems to be part of the diagonal line formed by the rocks both under and above the water. Looks good to me.

Gayle Clement
01-05-2008, 10:03 AM
This is a beautiful photo. I like it very much as is but it does make me wonder what is slightly to the right of it. I'd love to see a horizontal photo from this scene also.

Robert Amoruso
01-05-2008, 10:18 AM
I agree with E.B., I think that depth that the log gives to the image belies the fact the above surface portion is at the center of the frame. Each time I look at it, I follow that log right into the image and even if my eye stops to rest on that portion I don't feel stuck on it or trapped in the center of the image.

Certainly other compositions here but I am happy with this one.

Paul, What pond is this at ENP? I am very unfamiliar with ENP and would like to explore this area. Thanks.

Jim Poor
01-05-2008, 02:21 PM
I really like this as is. There is enough going on that is off-center that I don't even really notice the part of the tree sticking up being centered.

Sometimes I wonder if we don't get too caught up in the "rules."

Kjeld Smed
01-05-2008, 03:21 PM
I really like this as is. There is enough going on that is off-center that I don't even really notice the part of the tree sticking up being centered.

Sometimes I wonder if we don't get too caught up in the "rules."
Agreed

Kjeld

Gary "Jake" Jacobson
01-05-2008, 11:55 PM
I think this image has a strong composition and the diagonal of the log pulls your eye through the image. I am not at all bothered by the centered log peeping through the water surface. Wonderful image!

Paul Marcellini
01-06-2008, 11:13 AM
This is a beautiful photo. I like it very much as is but it does make me wonder what is slightly to the right of it. I'd love to see a horizontal photo from this scene also.

Thanks Gayle, I actually cropped in from the right. Just open water water reflecting a drab sky.

Robert, this is Sisal Pond. Its maybe 10 miles in the main entrance on the south side of the road. If you get the map at the entrance it is on it.

I was hoping the log would detract from the centeredness and I guess it does a good enough job.

Thanks everyone for the comments. Seems this forum is off to a great start.

Paul

Arthur Morris
01-07-2008, 05:58 PM
Whoa, I love it as is. It is a carefully and beautifully designed image and I am a sucker for those pink/purple skies.

later and love, artie

Glenn Ehmke
01-13-2008, 11:18 PM
Beautiful colours and that tree dissapearing into the water just sucks you right into the image.

Dean Ingwersen
01-14-2008, 04:41 PM
Brilliant. That tree is an amazing lead-in for the eye...it's like looking at an entry point to another world. And being a 20D owner myself, I know what you mean about the screen on the 40D!! Great work again.