View Full Version : Sunset at Marco Island

Oscar Zangroniz
04-13-2008, 06:32 PM
Taken last June while vacationing at Marco Island, Fl

Thank you for your comments and critiques
Regards to all,

Harold Davis
04-13-2008, 06:47 PM
that's really nice, oscar. i like how the reflection on the beach anchors it. well done.

Roman Kurywczak
04-13-2008, 07:48 PM
Hey Oscar,
Ideally.we do not want centered compositions in general. This leaves a lot of space that becomes uniteresting. I would have preferred this shot with the sun in the rule of thirds position. I didn't crop....but just fixed the areas that were dark. Do realize that when you compress to a jpeg..........you lose quite a bit of pop. I took it into PS...hit the Shadow highlights.........apllied noise ninja........0.5 CCW rotation.......more reds in the color balance.......brought out a lot of the details from the dark image. Let me knwo what you think,
Roman

Robert Amoruso
04-13-2008, 11:33 PM
Hi Oscar,

As someone that does a lot of beach sunrise, getting that optimum composition is a challenge as many times there is nothing else to balance the sun with. At least we have clouds many times and that is my prime time to run out to the beach.

Here you have a nice FG pool on the beach to get that reflection in. I would suggest, as Roman did, the centralizing the sun here makes the image too static. framing left or right using the Rule of Thirds would be better keeping the reflection as well. Even without a strong balancing element for the sun, the RoT placement will yield a pleasing result.

Stephen Stephen
04-14-2008, 11:46 AM
Oscar I'm not too worried about centering the sun in this image but I do like Roman's re-worked version.

Since we're talking about the rule of thirds you have divided your image horizontally that way: the wet beach, the ocean and the sky all take up about 1/3 of the frame.

Robert Amoruso
04-14-2008, 10:57 PM
Since we're talking about the rule of thirds you have divided your image horizontally that way: the wet beach, the ocean and the sky all take up about 1/3 of the frame.

Good point Stephen and one I neglected to mention.

Gus Cobos
04-15-2008, 10:11 AM
Nice concept Oscar,
I am a sucker for the beach. Agree with the rule of thirds for Mr. Sun also Romans repost on lightening your image. The original seemed a tad too dark...
Congrats...and keep them coming...:D