PDA

View Full Version : Some See Weeds...

Ed Vatza
04-13-2008, 06:10 PM
I see flowers. I wish I could identify this but I can find it in my field guide. The flowers are very small (this is a 1:1 image) and the leaves are bilateral and look like blades of grass. Can anyone help with an id?

Image made with my Canon Rebel XT, Sigma 70mm Macro lens, Canon 430 EX Flash with LumiQuest Soft Box all handheld.

1/125 sec at f/8; ISO 400; EC = 0; FEC = -2

I am really interested in your thoughts on this image. I really like the three layer composition. The pink stamens as focal point; the petals as level two and the background as level three. I also worked hard on trying to choose better backgrounds.

Robert O'Toole
04-13-2008, 10:17 PM
Like the image Ed, the colors, tones and the light. I really like the pink details.

But I would really love a less tight crop on this. The petals look clipped, not cropped.

Robert

Ed Vatza
04-14-2008, 03:54 AM
Like the image Ed, the colors, tones and the light. I really like the pink details.

But I would really love a less tight crop on this. The petals look clipped, not cropped.

Robert

Thank you for the critique, Robert. I made many images of this and another similar flower that morning and most show the entire flower. I actually preferred this particular series of about six images and thought (hoped) that with three of the five petals reaching beyond the frame, it would be clear that this was by design rather than accident. This would be a pretty much full size image but I did crop some dead area only from the right side to bring it to an 11 x 14 size.

Any other comments on this point or the image as a whole?

John Cooper
04-14-2008, 11:01 PM
Lovely pastel colours displayed here Ed. I tend to lean towards Robert's comments re composition, but very pleasent as is!!

Mike Moats
04-15-2008, 05:06 AM
Hey Ed, Nice colors and details. I agree with the clipping of the petals, IMO this would be better with either all of the flower showing, or a tighter crop of just the center parts of the flower.

Ed Vatza
04-15-2008, 05:15 AM
OK, OK, you guys win! :D

Here is one of the images of the same flower where I pulled back a bit and have the entire flower in the field. I am not as happy with the background on this one - particularly the leaf (looks like a blade of grass) on the left.

Roman Kurywczak
04-15-2008, 10:40 AM
Hi Ed,
Hooray for the re-post.........and you know I like em' tight! The BG distractions you mention are correctable and this one lacks a little punch of the pinks like the first post.........again fixable...but the comp here is very nice!.
Roman