PDA

View Full Version : Scaled quail (Callipepla squamata)

Jerry van Dijk
04-05-2012, 06:10 AM
I normally don't shoot birds, but I wanted to have a try with the 80-400 I recently got. I went for some 'target practice' to a zoo with so-called eco-displays, where various habitats are mimicked and birds and other animals wander around freely. I ran into this Scaled quail (Callipepla squamata), which was quite jumpy. I only was able to get off a few shots.

Nikon D7000, Nikkor 80-400 f/4.5-5.6D ED VR @ 180mm, ISO-100, f/5.0, 1/800 sec.
ACR6.3/CS 5: exposure, sharpness, NR, vibrance, clarity, levels. Extra sharpening and contrast on the eye.

All comments are greatly appreciated, but I have two specific questions as well:
1) The image is not as sharp as it could be. Apart form the image being made handheld, close inspection shows that the AF caught on about where the tail hits the stone. Combined with the wide aperture (I forgot to adjust my settings) this has caused some softness of the head and body. My AF-settings were AF-S with automatic focal point selection (from 39 points). My question is what I could have done better AF-wise (so apart from stopping down and using a tripod)? Because the bird was running around, I had to respond fast.
2) Since this is a captive bird, it was ringed. I cloned out the ring in PS. I have mixed feelings about doing that. Would you consider it unethical (even if I would mention it when showing the picture)?

Michael Gerald-Yamasaki
04-07-2012, 10:31 AM
Jerry,

Greetings.

I normally don't shoot birds, but I wanted to have a try with the 80-400 I recently got.

Careful shooting birds can be habit forming... :w3

1) The image is not as sharp as it could be. Apart form the image being made handheld, close inspection shows that the AF caught on about where the tail hits the stone. Combined with the wide aperture (I forgot to adjust my settings) this has caused some softness of the head and body. My AF-settings were AF-S with automatic focal point selection (from 39 points). My question is what I could have done better AF-wise (so apart from stopping down and using a tripod)? Because the bird was running around, I had to respond fast.

AF-S will lock (single lock) and then stay at that focus point. If the bird moves, you'll then have an oof shot... probably what happened here. You probably want to use AF-C which will continuously refocus/track the subject.

The focus point is the main issue for this image. SS at 1/800 is okay, but higher would be better for a moving bird. Could get two stops or more with higher iso than 100.

I like the subject with the pattern on the neck, breast... Keep at it.

Cheers,

-Michael-

Kerry Perkins
04-09-2012, 08:20 PM
Hello Jerry, first off I want to say - you should shoot birds more often! You did an acceptable job and Michael made some good points to improve your bird shots. This is an interesting bird, love the feather patterns and colors. Continuous AF is your friend with birds, as they tend to be - well, flighty... I have no issue with cloning out the band, especially when you disclose the fact as you did. Good job for just starting with birds, hope to see more of these!

Jerry van Dijk
04-10-2012, 03:19 AM
Thanks all for the encouraging words and the advice! I'll pay more attention to my settings next time and will also switch to continuous AF. This lens isn't the fastest around, but I've seen people on this forum produce outstanding BIF images with it, so it should be possible.