PDA

View Full Version : Apocalyptic Quivers

Andrew Aveley
04-04-2012, 03:12 PM
Sorry for my absence on the forum .........I have been away completing a long awaited return to Southern Namibia to investigate future Landscape oportunitys. This image is one I captured on my first night of the trip near Keetmanshoop and the world famous Quiver Tree Forest / Giants Playground. The clouds were only situated over the town some 30 km away moving towards me. I had to sacrifice a little movement in the stars to get enough flow in the clouds. Canon 5D MK 2 on tripod with remote release , 30 sec , F2.8 , ISO 1250 , Canon 16 - 35 F2.8 @16mm.

Morkel Erasmus
04-04-2012, 03:57 PM
Trust the Badger to do something different here. I like this a lot - the clouds presumably illuminated by the town's light pollution?
My only critique here (besides not being next to you on the night :w3) is that it would've been ideal if the large quiver tree was separated from the leftmost smaller one for a more distinct silhouette. Perhaps if you had moved more to the left?
:cheers:

Looking forward to more...

Rachel Hollander
04-05-2012, 06:51 AM
Andrew - Well done! I like the comp and the combo of stars and clouds just takes this over the top. Looking forward to more images from Namibia (I'm going there for the first time in August).

TFS,
Rachel

Andrew Aveley
04-06-2012, 02:30 AM
Thanks Morkel :) I do have one as you describe but the clouds did not work for me on that one ........it is slighter closer as there was a massive drop off to my left :) Rachel , best wildlife month to visit Namibia. I assume you will be going to Etosha? Which other areas you planning on seeing?

Rachel Hollander
04-06-2012, 07:17 AM
Andrew - only a couple of nights in Etosha area. I'm also going to Sossusvlei, Swakopmund, Damaraland and Windhoek. Plus a few extra days in the Kruger Area to make sure I get my wildlife fix.

Rachel

Robert Amoruso
04-08-2012, 05:23 PM
Andrew, well done composition. I can see why you chose this vantage point as the clouds emerge from the trees perfectly in a visually pleasing manner

Andrew McLachlan
04-10-2012, 06:19 PM
Hi Andrew, love the stars, clouds and the color in the sky and the silhouetted trees are nicely placed in the comp. I would have preferred some separation in the trees as Morkel mentions, but sounds like you did the best you could considering your vantage point.

Andrew Aveley
04-13-2012, 01:35 PM
Thanks Robert & Andrew.......:)