PDA

View Full Version : Polarisation filter& hard light

Raymond De Smet
04-03-2012, 05:31 AM
Hi People,

First of all I am a silent admirer off the work off you all !
Just introduced mysel on that forum.

Maybe a silly question
Is it usefull to go for a drop-in polarisation filter flike for a 500 mm lens, when shooting in countries like spain or somewhere else in hard light.
Could this be a benefit when I am not able to go in the best light all the time ?
Compensation and underexpossing is not the best way so that's why this question popped into my (small mind) :e3

Regards Raymond

Colin Knight
04-03-2012, 09:40 AM
I've never been to Spain....can you clarify what "hard light" is?

Charles Glatzer
04-03-2012, 10:27 AM
I think he means hard light equals = intense sunlight. Firstly, what effect are you trying to negate in the sunlight? A polarizer will reduce the light coming into the lens by approx 2 stops, and depending on the light direction it may knock down highlights, reduce surface reflection, and darken parts of the sky.
The 2 stop light loss is why most wildlife/bird photos do not use the filter. It is better to learn how to shoot it bright light to negate hard edged shadows hiding subject detail. Lighting direction relative to the subject is important...point your shadow at the subject in direct sunlight. Use flash to illuminate the shadow portions.

Best,

Chas

Raymond De Smet
04-03-2012, 10:59 AM
What I mean with hard light is intense sunlight like Charles intended,knocking down highlights is one off the reasons and the darker sky is a bonus.

And why did I mention Spain ! it's going to be my next trip, I visited Greece quit a lot (also with lot's off intense light) and still being unable to shoot outside the holidays because off the job , do I want to use as much time as possible in the holidays :)

Usage off flash is not very often done by birdphotographers over here ? in the places I often visit was it only on 1 occasion that I did see somebody using a full combo with flashextender etc.)
The basics that you pointed out are known to me Charles, and I have some skills in Photoshop but I want to improve the shots coming out off the box,the shadowparts are not so good to recover when stopped down, that's why my question, I was wondering that the usage off a polarisation filter could help ,also because there's some room with that excessive light to stop down even if it is wth the Pola filter !

I hope I am coming over like I mean it,knownig Flemish is my native tongue ;)
Thansk for the reply's already.
Raymond

Charles Glatzer
04-03-2012, 03:27 PM
I do not see the polarizer helping with hard edged dark shadows. It will come down to how well you are able to position yourself and the subject relative to the light.

Chas

Roger Clark
04-03-2012, 06:05 PM
A polarizing filter will not help in harsh light conditions, except in a few circumstances but it does help skies. Most light is not polarized, exceptions are first surface reflections, like off of leaves or water. If at the right angle, the polarizer will reduce those reflections, but in general will not affect shadows.

Best to try and only work when the sun is low, or clouds mitigate harsh light. if you must work in harsh light, the "almost" point your shadow at the subject strategy that Chas mentioned reduces the contrast of shadows and works better than a polarizer at higher phase angles.

Roger

Raymond De Smet
04-04-2012, 11:24 AM
Thank you guys,

This saves me some Euro's thanks,now I don't need to buy and experience it.
It was simple thinking by me :e3 inventing the wheel was long time done :t3 It seems al so logic as explaint by both off you !
Sorry for the telegraphic style in my writing :e3 and if I ever overcome rude, it is the lack of language skill

Regards Raymond

Grady Weed
04-04-2012, 04:31 PM
Welcome to BPN! And you are most welcome to post any question, no matter how simple. We love to help others.

Roger Clark
04-04-2012, 06:20 PM
Hello Raymond,

Your English is very good. No need to apologize. I do have a polarizer for my super telephotos but rarely use it. I also carry a polarizer for my wider angle lenses and I do use it on landscapes, and while more than with the telephotos, it too gets used rarely..

I know what you mean about harsh light in Greece: the skies are so clear it is only a short time after sunrise when the light gets harsh, so I do most of my imaging at sunrise, sunset and after sunset.
My recent Greece images: http://www.clarkvision.com/galleries/gallery.greece/

Roger