PDA

View Full Version : Too Close!

dankearl
04-02-2012, 07:30 PM
I know in some places Wood ducks can be hard to get close to, but not In my local pond.
They are very tame, you lay on the shore and they drift right up to you.
This is almost full frame, cropped as a bit of a pano.
It is a bit too close, but I liked the open beak and the tongue.
Alas, I had to return my new D800 camera, when I finally got around to taking an F16 sky shot,
there was a mark on the sensor. I have no idea how long I have to wait now to get a new one!

f6.3
ISO 1000
1/800
500MM (300 W/ 1.7X)
Nikon D800

arash_hazeghi
04-02-2012, 08:14 PM
looks good Dan! nice details given the position of the head I'm ok with shallow DOF.

BTW, no one returns an SLR camera for dust on the sensor, sooner or later there will be lots of dust on your sensor as you change lenses in the field. It can be cleaned easily. Hope you get another one soon but I'm sure that one will have some dust too, it's inevitable especially with FF cameras...

dankearl
04-02-2012, 08:32 PM
Arash, this was not dust, a very dark black mark.
It looked like a small worm or something. Definately a scratch or something.

arash_hazeghi
04-02-2012, 08:34 PM
Arash, this was not dust, a very dark black mark.
It looked like a small worm or something. Definately a scratch or something.

dust and small oil drops look black at f/16. did you try cleaning it?

A scratch is usually a few mm long and a few hundred microns wide, it will look like a giant streak in a photo as opposed to a black mark. It is virtually impossible to scratch the low pass filter because it is hermetically sealed by tough silicon nitride.

dankearl
04-02-2012, 08:50 PM
Arash, here it is.
I don't think this is a dust spot and paying 3 grand for a camera,
I did not want to get the sensor cleaned after a week and taking the chance of the cleaning process
doing more harm. You can see one dust spot but the "worm" looks like something else to me.

DSC_0197nx.jpg (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=111160&stc=1&d=1333417784)

arash_hazeghi
04-02-2012, 08:55 PM
Dan I am 100% sure this was dust. Well too late since you already returned it. Dust comes in every shape.

The one on the corner seems like a larger piece so it comes off easily with a simple blower

Here is what I use to blow off dust from sensor:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/259157-REG/Giottos_AA1900_Rocket_Air_Blower_.html

dankearl
04-02-2012, 09:07 PM
Thanks, Arash, I was maybe too hasty, but I have never seen this before and since I pretty much put the camera on
My 300 w 1.7 extender and never took it off or changed lens I have no idea how it got on.
Hopefully I will get another in a few weeks. I have never Used such a low light camera. It changed everything for me.
This photo at iso 1000 looks like my d7000 at iso100!

arash_hazeghi
04-02-2012, 09:16 PM
Thanks, Arash, I was maybe too hasty, but I have never seen this before and since I pretty much put the camera on
My 300 w 1.7 extender and never took it off or changed lens I have no idea how it got on.
Hopefully I will get another in a few weeks. I have never Used such a low light camera. It changed everything for me.
This photo at iso 1000 looks like my d7000 at iso100!

If the extender or lens is not sealed (look for o-rings) dust will get in. better get used to cleaning, you can send it to Nikon for cleaning but it might take 2+ weeks if you are not NPS member...not worth being without a camera :w3. Good camera sure makes a big difference for low light photography :S3:

gail bisson
04-03-2012, 05:27 AM
Lovely detail and iridescence in the head. Like you, I like the open beak and tongue. Lovely IQ at ISO 1000,
Gail

Frank Schauf
04-03-2012, 06:08 AM
Excellent details, Dan.

Dave Leroy
04-03-2012, 10:44 AM
Lovely detail and incoming pose. Looking forward to some tight head shots when you get your camera back.

Melissa Groo
04-03-2012, 12:22 PM
Stunning details, Dan. I feel like I could just reach out and touch the serrated edge of the lower mandible. Feels like it's right before me. Can't wait to see more from you with this camera! Hope you get it back soon. I have that Giottos blower too and it works great.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
04-03-2012, 04:27 PM
Lucky you to be able to get so close. They are so beautiful. I realy like this shot especially the friendly expression

Robert Holguin
04-04-2012, 02:12 AM
Wonderful shot. Great pose, excellent detail, and very nice comp.
Well done.