PDA

View Full Version : Alaska sailboat

Hazel Grant
04-01-2012, 06:38 PM
Was going through some photos of an Alasaka cruise and came across this forgotten sailboat. Something about the aloneness (minimalist?) caught my eye. I cropped a bit off the top and bottom and used selective color to add some black to all the blues. Hand held, and when checking the file infor, I discovered it was done with my compact camera.

Robert Amoruso
04-02-2012, 08:30 AM
Hazel,

I like the predominate blue look to the image. Attractive clouds.

I do not feel the sail boat's position is the best it could be. As it is located now you have the tops of the mast interesting a shoreline. Also the central placement does not balance well in the image for me. My preference would be a bit down and left of its current position - below the mouth to the inlet in the middle ground.

Dennis Bishop
04-02-2012, 08:59 AM
I like this a lot, Hazel. Your addition of black to the blues probably helped to achieve the mood you wanted. I wondered about adjusting the composition a bit, and I cropped off the top to bring the tops of the hills to a horizontal divine proportion line. It also removed a lot of empty blue, and it gave the interesting clouds a greater role. The downside is that it made the sailboat seem less lost in a vast expanse.

I also cropped a little from the left -- enough to put the right side of the opening in the water on a vertical divine proportion line. It also moved the sailboat a little further away from the center. (I looked at cropping further from the right or left, but I felt too much pretty landscape would be lost.)

While playing around, I bumped the whites up just a tad with Levels.

Hazel Grant
04-02-2012, 09:14 AM
Thanks for taking the time to work on this. Yes, I can see the positioning vs shoreline intrusion, Robert. Hadn't noticed that. Dennis, I had wondered about the holes in the clouds. yes, does look better.

Judy Howle
04-03-2012, 10:22 AM
I love the beautiful scene and colors Hazel! Dennis' re-work does improve it. I agree with the comments about the location of the sailboat. Maybe you could move it. :w3 I have moved things in a couple of images with the content-aware move tool in CS6 beta.

Morkel Erasmus
04-04-2012, 04:36 PM
Hey Hazel!
I fully agree with Robert's assessment and I quite like what Dennis did in his repost.
:S3: