PDA

View Full Version : Splish Splash!

Marina Scarr
04-01-2012, 01:45 PM
I wanted so badly this season to capture a Spoonie bathing, and it just wasn't happening. So last week, I went out and said a little prayer. My wish was granted but there were three cormorants behind the bathing spoonie. When I told my shooting partner about my wish, he asked me why I hadn't asked for a clean background too? I told him I thought it was asking too much. He disagreed so I asked again, this time for a clean background. Within 15 mins, three spoonies bathed right in front of me with clean backgrounds. The light could have been softer, but I was in no position to complain!

Canon 1D3, Canon 500L
F10, 1/2000sec, ISO 400, manual mode
Feisol tripod, Jobu head

C & C always welcomed and much appreciated.

Marina Scarr
www.marinascarrphotography.com (http://www.marinascarrphotography.com)

Dave Leroy
04-01-2012, 02:43 PM
Lovely action photo Marina. Lovely pose, nice low shooting angle and really neat to see all the reflected red in the water drops. Good for you to get your wish.
Another option was to just go for the lottery ticket.

stuart wanuck
04-01-2012, 03:29 PM
lovely action image

Louie Champan
04-01-2012, 10:09 PM
Beautiful shot, very well done.

Robert Holguin
04-02-2012, 01:31 AM
Wonderful image. Love the pose, water splash, and all the water drops. Great light and very nice detail.
Well done.

Daniel Cadieux
04-02-2012, 09:07 AM
Nice action with a great amount of water splashing. The spoonie seems to be looking at you, neat! The image seems a touch dark, and it may need some CW rotation. Nice manoeuvring from your partner!

Melissa Groo
04-02-2012, 01:02 PM
Really like this moment captured, Marina. I like the slightly open bill, the head angle and the explosion of pink drops. Great job on exposure of those whites. Did you try to lighten the underside of all, say in Viveza? I think that might help to downplay the contrast a bit.

jack williamson
04-02-2012, 03:09 PM
Good for you Marina. The head and bill are really sharp while the rest of the bird is motion blurred just enough for the action. I like the color reflections in the drops around the SB. People should never under estimate the power of prayer.

Jack

Yves Guillot
04-02-2012, 07:57 PM
He seems to have to much fun while looking at you! Agree about the CW. Nice splashing droplets ...and keep praying!

Frank Schauf
04-03-2012, 06:27 AM
Nice composition and excellent expsoure control and sharpness.

Marina Scarr
04-04-2012, 11:42 AM
Thank you everybody for your critiques, comments and words of encouragement. I already lightened up the spoonie's belly as much as I felt was possible without hurting the quality of the image. As for the horizon, I straightened the horizon by matching the bird's wing with its reflection, so I am pretty confident that the horizon is straight.