03-30-2012, 07:54 PM
Canon 1D4
500mm +1.4x
Gitzo/Wimberley spread low
Lying on my belly.

1/8000 sec
f/5.6
ISO 640

At least I think it's a short-billed dowitcher. Juvenile? Taken in Fort Myers a few weeks ago. My first time photographing this species. I had a hard time adjusting the color, as it first looked too green, then too red. Wonder what others think who have more experience photographing this bird--did I get his/her color right?
I know the SS is overkill, but it was early in the morning, and I hadn't adjusted ISO yet for the rising sun.
It's about a 40% crop. I cloned out some splotchy darker areas in BG and some highlights on bill. Did some recovery on the whites. Sharpening.
Thanks so much for looking. All C&C greatly welcomed.

Gary Esman
03-30-2012, 08:12 PM
Hey Melissa, fantastic low angle, nice and sharp, great detail in the feathers and I like that tiny little weed sticking up.

Gary.

gail bisson
03-31-2012, 05:47 AM
Hi Melissa,
I really like the leg position and the composition. Just enough space for my taste. I would clean up the water but leave that one little blade (and the little wake) sticking up and would sharpen the head a bit more. Great light and low angle.
Gail
I looked in my bird books to try and ID this guy but I still am not sure if it is long billed or short billed.

Stu Bowie
03-31-2012, 09:39 AM
Hi Melissa, good low perspective, and I like the wading pose with the raised leg. Lovely soft light, overall sharpness good, and I like your water BG. I cant comment on the colours, as Im not familiar with these guys. :w3

Frank Schauf
03-31-2012, 10:44 AM
Beautiful picture, good, deep, receptive position.

Bill Dix
03-31-2012, 04:13 PM
Hi Melissa. Great pose, and low shooting angle. Beautiful light. I'm with Gail on the water clean-up. I should leave it to the experts, but I'd put my money on a 1st year or adult non-breeding SBDO; technically not a juvenile this time of year. Color looks ok to me.

Kaustubh Deshpande
04-02-2012, 12:45 PM
Melissa, excellent low angle, pose and good job positioning yourself. Nice clean water and details. Well done.