PDA

View Full Version : Autofocus speed

Darrell Riggins
03-30-2012, 07:24 PM
I'm using a Canon 50 D. My question this: Is it possible to speed up the autofocus when trying to photo birds inflight. I primarily use my 500mm F4 IS lens. It seem awfully slow at acquiring focus. I try shooting using the A1servo setting. Any info would be gratefully appreciated.

Doug West
03-31-2012, 07:10 AM
What's your focus distance selector set on your lens? If its something other than, say, 6.4 to infinity,
your lens is going to take just a little longer to focus because of the extra distance.

Doug

Jim Neiger
03-31-2012, 08:48 AM
The secret is to try to always keep the focus close to the subject. That way when you focus on the subject you are already close and the subject will come into focus quickly. Doug's advice above will also be very helpful.

Robert Hardy
04-03-2012, 05:11 AM
It's quite easy to speed up AF lets say a bird is comeing your way and you see it 200/300yds out, it is far to small at that distance but you know it will be a nice size at say 60yds just point your lens on the ground at about 60yds press to get AF then find and follow the bird again but dont start AI servo untill its aprox 60/70 yds away .
Rob.