PDA

View Full Version : Fast Water

Douglas Bolt
03-30-2012, 11:44 AM
Canon 5DM2, 70-200 f4@70, f13, .6s, ISO 160, CP.
PP: Screen Blend 30%, Nik Color Efex detail extracter, Nik Sharpen.

Judy Howle
03-31-2012, 09:07 AM
I like the composition and the details that show in the water make it more interesting than if it was totally smooth.

Jay Gould
03-31-2012, 10:55 AM
Canon 5DM2, 70-200 f4@70, f13, .6s, ISO 160, CP.
PP: Screen Blend 30%, Nik Color Efex detail extracter, Nik Sharpen.

Lovely; I have lots of these as I like to play with the Singh-Ray VariND. Please explain the "screen blend 30%"; what did you blend?

Douglas Bolt
03-31-2012, 03:35 PM
Sure, Jay. I did a Ctrl-J and then changed the Blend Mode on the copy to Screen and adjusted the Opacity to ~30% to lighten up the rocks to taste. More frequently, I use the Soft Light blend mode with Opacity set to ~20% to give a little more pop and contrast to darks. Screen does almost the opposite.

I'm not certain, but I think I had the Singh Ray Warming CP on for this shot.

Rachel Hollander
04-01-2012, 06:49 AM
Nicely done. I like the comp and the detail. Did you selectively sharpen the rocks or apply the sharpening to the whole image? I don't use Nik filters but presume that you can use the detail extractor on the whole image but still selectively sharpen. If you sharpened the whole image, it would be interesting to see without the sharpening applied to the water or less sharpening applied to the water.

TFS,
Rachel

Robert Amoruso
04-02-2012, 08:57 AM
Douglas,

I agree with the above. I would suggest a polarizer to cut down/out all the hot water reflections. I am somewhat distracted by the OOF rock protruding from the left side.

Dennis Bishop
04-02-2012, 09:23 AM
I like this in all respects. Great composition -- all the major elements work just right in terms of divine proportions. Great diagonals, too. The water is very dynamic. And I like the reflections off the rocks.

Douglas Bolt
04-02-2012, 12:24 PM
Nicely done. I like the comp and the detail. Did you selectively sharpen the rocks or apply the sharpening to the whole image? I don't use Nik filters but presume that you can use the detail extractor on the whole image but still selectively sharpen. If you sharpened the whole image, it would be interesting to see without the sharpening applied to the water or less sharpening applied to the water.

TFS,
Rachel

Rachel,

Thanks for you comments. I just checked and found that I didn't use Control Points on either Nik output or raw sharpen or the Color Efex layers. Most of the detail (maybe too much?) in the flowing water was from the Detail Extractor.

Douglas Bolt
04-02-2012, 12:29 PM
Douglas,

I agree with the above. I would suggest a polarizer to cut down/out all the hot water reflections. I am somewhat distracted by the OOF rock protruding from the left side.

Robert,

I'm pretty sure I had the CP on for this shot. Can't be certain, but if not, should have. However, my position for the shot was pretty unstable, so I may not have adjusted the filter for optimal effect. I too paused at the brighter element on the left side, but decided it sort of set the color tone for the rest of the image. Besides, a crop to remove it seemed to cause more problems that it solved.

Douglas Bolt
04-02-2012, 12:33 PM
I like this in all respects. Great composition -- all the major elements work just right in terms of divine proportions. Great diagonals, too. The water is very dynamic. And I like the reflections off the rocks.

Thanks, Dennis.

I may do some work using selective Detail Extraction and less sharpening on the water for a more peaceful version, as suggested. This ver does seem sorta angry.

Morkel Erasmus
04-03-2012, 05:54 PM
I can't add much to this - Robert has stated what I feel would have improved this too. This is a type of intimate landscape I need to immerse myself more in too...