PDA

View Full Version : On a mission

Mark Wiseman
03-29-2012, 02:02 PM
I took this image in January at Polentswa waterhole. This is the alpha female of the Polentswa pride, a majestic lioness. The other members of the pride left her alone as she was looking after 3 ,4 month old cubs. She was on a determined walk to the waterhole.
Camera details:
Nikon D3s
Nikon 600mm f4 VR
Aperture f8
S/S: 1/80sec
ISO: 1100
Manual mode
Any comments and critiques most welcome.
I would also like to thank everyone for there comments and help in the past, as yesterday I was awarded my ARPS from the RPS in Bath, UK.
:bg3::5

Hilary Hann
03-29-2012, 08:08 PM
Congratulations on your achievement … that is something to be very proud of.

Lovely lioness image, love the light quality and the movement in the front foot and those eyes are excellent. I have no suggestions for improvement. :S3:

Steve Kaluski
03-30-2012, 02:03 AM
Hi Marc, if you have it, I would recrop with a hint more image at the foot of the image as it's just a little tight. I might also add some mid-tone for some depth.

TFS
Steve

Mark Wiseman
03-30-2012, 02:52 AM
Hi Hilary and Steve,
Thanks for your comments. Steve, this is a full frame image and unfortunately I cannot add further canvas to the image.
Best wishes,
Mark.

Rachel Hollander
03-30-2012, 07:13 AM
Mark - congrats! Nice walking pose and the techs look good. I might boost the contrast slightly.

TFS,
Rachel

Arno Ellmer
03-30-2012, 11:40 PM
Hi Mark , congrats on your award !
Great image, considering it was shot at 1/80 s .I love the low angle. Sharp where it counts .The bg and lion's chest is a bit bright and I would generally tone down a bit. A classic pose.

Steve Canuel
04-01-2012, 11:59 AM
Congrats Mark. Just a bit tight for my taste, it's a nice simple composition and I like the curved tail, turned paw, and golden colors.

Morkel Erasmus
04-02-2012, 05:14 PM
Congrats on the ARPS, Mark! I know you worked hard for it :cheers:
I trust you are fully recovered now as well?

Lovely light and pose here, the blurred foot is an especially nice touch :5
Agree that a hint more space below would enhance this, but no deal-breaker IMHO
Adding mid-tone contrast would add some oomph as Steve mentioned!

Mark Wiseman
04-03-2012, 12:37 PM
Hi Morkel, Arno, Steve and Rachel,
Thanks for your comments and help, they are gratefully appreciated.
This was a full frame image with no cropping. If I could I would add at the bottom, but I can't.
Thanks again and best wishes,
Mark.