PDA

View Full Version : Angry Hippo?

Ken Watkins
03-29-2012, 02:16 AM
Just showing off to the ladies if you ask me, retained young Hippo deliberately.

Taken in Kwando concession, Northern Botswana, 27th December 2011.

EOS 1D MkIV

500mm F4 hand-held.

F6.3, ISO 400, 1/2500

Tom Graham
03-29-2012, 01:24 PM
I like the image, nice water ripples, nice capture of mouth open and water spout. And hippo head in BG adds interest.
Think it could use a bit more pop, color saturation?
And for sure would flip it left-right.
Tom

Rachel Hollander
03-30-2012, 07:17 AM
Ken - nice timing and low pov. I like the comp and don't understand the suggestion to flip images (although I'm told it comes from old rules for graphic design). There's a very slight halo along the top of the hippo.

TFS,
Rachel

Tom Graham
03-30-2012, 10:33 AM
"....suggestion to flip images...."
Did you try it here? You have to actually try it, you can't imagine it.
Flipping either makes the image better or worse. It changes the composition of the image. How can it not make a change? Ok, I'll give some, many times makes little difference. Flip this, better or worse?? This one I think for sure better, flipping puts the hippos mouth/splash in "better" area of the frame.
We will likely hear from about two others here saying makes no difference. But would interesting to hear also from about the 80 who view this, how they vote.
Tom

Rachel Hollander
03-30-2012, 10:53 AM
Tom - I did try it and again I do not think it improves the image. Flipping an image does not change where something is in relationship to, for example, a rule of thirds intersecting point. Rather, it just puts it on a different intersecting point. I am still of the belief that an image should at least resemble the scene I saw. If I saw a hippo coming from the left, then I want my image to be of a hippo coming from the left. I don't think we should hijack Ken's thread for this discussion. I started a thread in the General Photography Forum: http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/96960-To-Flip-or-Not-to-Flip-an-Image?p=787516#post787516

Btw Ken, your image does not have an assigned color profile.

Rachel