PDA

View Full Version : Marsh Wren

Jan Wegener
04-13-2008, 12:19 PM
HI

Got this little friend yesterday :)
Finally it's songbird time again ! :D

Hope I can get many more songbirds in my last week in Vancouver...

Do you have aproblem with the tip of the cattail coming out of the bird ?
I cloned it out, but then the picture lost its balance, so I decided to leave it :)

full frame

Lyall Bouchard
04-13-2008, 12:37 PM
Jan,

Nice details on this little fella, and I like the full side view as well. If you have more of the cattail below the wren, I'd be inclined to clone out the part above the bird, and crop the shot vertically.

Great shot in any case. Your photos are always inspiring.

Juan Carlos Vindas
04-13-2008, 12:45 PM
:)Hello Jan, I made some changes to your beautiful image, I hope you donīt mind.

Larry Daniel
04-13-2008, 12:47 PM
Cute little bird. Nice capture. Cloning out the top of the cattail and cropping vertical are good suggestions IMO.

Jan Wegener
04-13-2008, 12:57 PM
like I said, I like it better with the tip of the cattail, because it balances the picture.
I for me this is also not a real vertical pose, for that I had to be further away...

What kind of weird noise reduction did you use ?

Oh I forgot to mention, this is fullframe

Juan Carlos Vindas
04-13-2008, 01:07 PM
Jan, I agree about the weird noise reduction, I use a little of gassian blur, but since the image has low resolution is hard to work on it, about the tip of cattail, let me ask you who is your main subject here? the cattail is not, I am sure.

Daniel Cadieux
04-13-2008, 01:39 PM
I prefer with the tip of the cattail left in as that spike is such an integral part (and field mark) of that plant...cloning it out makes it look un-natural - like it's missing an obvious part of it. Excellent image with a typical wren feel to it.

Arthur Morris
04-13-2008, 02:26 PM
Jan is correct, the top of the cattail needs to stay. I like the slightly richer colors in JC's repost but the Gaussian blurring of the edges of the bird are unacceptable. So far nobody has mentioned the biggest flaw in this image: the bird's head is turned slightly away from you. Parallel is OK; Slightly towards you is ideal (especially here with the bird's body being angled ever-so-slightly away from you.

Linda Robbins
04-13-2008, 05:02 PM
Totally agree that the top of the cattail must stay. I do like the slight increase in saturation on the second post, but am in agreement that the Gaussian blurring on the edge of the bird has degraded the original. Very nice framing and sharp detail. I love the pose. It would have been great if the bird had turned it's head a bit towards you, but even so I would love to have this one!

Victor Soares
04-14-2008, 10:32 AM
Must say that I prefer Jan's attempt much, much more. In my opinion, cattail can stay, and what makes it for me is the bird's strong braceful stance ... really letting rip !! Would love to have this one in my collection. GREAT STUFF !!