PDA

View Full Version : Low-key Barrow's

Paul Lagasi
03-27-2012, 10:17 PM
I have been working with this image for a few days, never really liking anything about it. I decided to go with a low-key approach.

This image was taken indoors at the Montreal Biodome, with little lighting and handheld....I used spot focus and spot metering to meter off the white side of the duck.
This exposure turned the water black....I used Topaz for the paintlike effects and then ran it through CS5 noise reduction to give it a bit of smoothness.

I tried to recover the right side of the ducks head but made the water too light.....

Its passable now..what do you think?

denise ippolito
03-28-2012, 06:58 AM
Paul, I like it. The darker image has created a mood. I might take a sliver off the bottom so that the duck sits lower in the frame but that is just a personal preference. Nice pose, details and head angle.

Jack Breakfast
03-28-2012, 07:54 PM
Like this very much, I do, Paul! It reminds me of taxidermied art and I swear to you: that's a sincere compliment. Not that I'm so into taxidermy or anything like that. Anyhow, I do like the look of this...

Mark Fuge
03-29-2012, 09:33 AM
Nice image and application, Paul.

The only thing I might try would be to add a touch of Accent Edges, to try to shape the front of the head. But that is minor. Otherwise, well done. :w3

Paul Lagasi
03-29-2012, 07:26 PM
Thanks Denise, Jack and Mark..I appreciate it..

Andrew McLachlan
03-31-2012, 03:09 PM
Hi Paul, this one works for me...nothing not to like about it. I like the foot and agree on lowering it in the frame a touch.