PDA

View Full Version : Spoonie Spat!

Marina Scarr
03-27-2012, 07:08 PM
Photographed some young Roseate Spoonbills having a spat recently and liked this image b/c of the light and water drops. The young spoonbills have been extremely fisky lately. They are jumping up into the air, onto each other, poking each other with their beaks and playing tug of war with vines. It has been very interesting to witness and photograph. This particular image was cropped from horizontal to vertical.

Canon 1D3, Canon 500L
F9, 1/1250sec, ISO 500, manual mode
Feisol tripod, Jobu head

C & C always welcomed and much appreciated.

Marina Scarr
www.marinascarrphotography.com (http://www.marinascarrphotography.com)

Melissa Groo
03-27-2012, 07:19 PM
Love the behavior captured here, Marina. And those drops of water are too cool. Wonderful job on comp and EXP. This moment gives me a real sense of the spoonie's personality (yes, I believe birds have individual personalities!). I only wish the lower mandible were distinct from the body.

Yves Guillot
03-27-2012, 07:34 PM
Just love this one MArina! Droplets, expression, eye level : everything is there! Nice job!

Nick Palmieri
03-27-2012, 07:38 PM
Nice one. Love the drops, the BG, and the reflection.

Sachin Saraf
03-27-2012, 07:40 PM
Fantastic image Marina...Love the light, BG and details...Wish the part of beak was not merged in back...but still a superb image.

Josh Clark
03-27-2012, 07:46 PM
Great image Marina! Excellent behavior you captured. Love the low POV, and the water droplets. The HA and open mandible really make this one to me.

arash_hazeghi
03-27-2012, 08:04 PM
sweet Marina! love the water drops and details. well done

Randy Stout
03-27-2012, 08:59 PM
Marina:

Looks like quite a character, nice sense of action. Sharp, well exposed, flying drops,good shooting angle.

Yes, bill merge is a minor issue, but overall it displays very well for me.

For personal taste, I would crop a bit off the top, but perhaps that would make it too squarish for your taste.

Cheers

Randy

RakeshDhareshwar
03-27-2012, 10:27 PM
Thats a very lovely frame . The water droplets , the open mandibles and the lovely muted colours . +1 on the bill merge , but a very minor nit indeed.

Robert Holguin
03-27-2012, 11:38 PM
Wow!! Superb image. Love the water drops, wonderful light, great feather detail, lovely background, and great shooting angle.
Well done.

Mark Young
03-28-2012, 12:59 AM
Nice exposure. Like everyone else, I like the open bill and the sharpness of the eye.

christopher galeski
03-28-2012, 04:17 AM
very nice image,love the water droplets,good exposure.well done.

gail bisson
03-28-2012, 04:28 AM
Really nice image Marina. I like the forward leaning position and the curve of the neck. Good light and whites. My favorite part is the BIG water droplets flying around. The eye is so clear and sharp. I don't mind the bill merge at all,
gail

Karl Egressy
03-28-2012, 07:17 AM
Great low angle image, Marina. The open beak, soft light and the water droplets add a lot to the image.

Stu Bowie
03-28-2012, 10:20 AM
Hi Marina, I really the light in this, together with the colours and sharpness. Well timed to capture the open bill and flying droplets, and I would like to see a horizontal version. :w3

Frank Schauf
03-28-2012, 12:52 PM
Beautiful and colorful image. Sharp and well composed.

Marina Scarr
03-29-2012, 04:59 AM
Hi Marina, I really the light in this, together with the colours and sharpness. Well timed to capture the open bill and flying droplets, and I would like to see a horizontal version. :w3

No can do bc I only used the left side of the picture. The right side I think had an oof bird in it.

Kaustubh Deshpande
03-29-2012, 02:56 PM
Marina, terrific shot. techs are perfect. Good job getting low...that allowed you to shoot at f/9 and still get a nice blurred BG. loved the moment and the drops. Exposure and sharpness look perfect.