PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Zebra National Park

Morkel Erasmus
03-27-2012, 04:22 PM
This is an image of the view from the top of one of the plateaus in the Mountain Zebra National Park situated in the Karoo desert, South Africa.

This image was taken at dawn as we went out on our game drive. I was in the car. I shot handheld. The foreground might be considered "boring" to some - yet this image was just picked up for a double page spread in an article about this Park in the official magazine of South African National Parks. The lesson? Always shoot what you see, it might come in handy even if the "classical" rules weren't followed (in this case a strong foreground anchor). :bg3:

I am off to the Greater Kruger National Park for a few days and should pop by on Monday again.

Techs:
Canon 1000D with Canon 10-22mm USM @ 10mm
f8.0 @ 1/30 SS @ ISO-200

Don Railton
03-27-2012, 06:02 PM
Happy shooting Morkel.

I think the clouds are the strongest feature in this, OH, and the check that was attached...

DON

mikedewitt
03-27-2012, 08:50 PM
The small rocks in the foreground provide enough anchor for me. The light if very nice, too...

Dave Woeller
03-28-2012, 07:47 AM
Congratulations and yes it's a very nice composition. I also like the small rocks holding down the foregreound. Is that a river winding through the valley that I see in the right 3rd just below center?

Morkel Erasmus
03-28-2012, 08:57 AM
Thanks guys.
Dave - yes that's a river. The bottom of the gorge is surprisingly lush and green for a semi-desert due to the river...

Rachel Hollander
03-28-2012, 07:15 PM
Morkel - congrats on the publication and have a great trip. Oh and the photo is very nice too. I like the tones and the light.

TFS,
Rachel

Judy Howle
03-29-2012, 04:35 PM
Congrats Morkel! I like the composition and especially the light and shadows in the rocks and grasses.

Andrew McLachlan
03-31-2012, 04:03 PM
Hi Morkel, the cloud formation is especially nice, but for me I really like the light and tones of the foreground details. Great news about the double page spread and ditto your comments about shooting 'what you see'...it is so true :S3:

Morkel Erasmus
04-06-2012, 02:47 AM
Thanks Andrew, Judy and Rachel...