PDA

View Full Version : Purple Swamphen (Porphyrio porphyrio) Hunter Wetlands NSW

Rod Warnock
03-27-2012, 02:04 PM
Purple Swamphen (Porphyrio porphyrio) Hunter Wetlands NSW
Canon EOS 7D Lens 400mm L USM 5.6 ISO400 F11.0 1/500 available light 27 March 2012 9.33am
Taken yesterday morning at Hunter Wetlands Centre. Purple Swamphens can be often very flighty and nervous but apart from the brilliant colour they definitely have haughty, self assertive presence. This fella was certainly master of the immediate terrain. The ready caption leapt at me: "Now Look At Me" !!
Purple Swamphens are found around Australia where suitable freshwater streams and swamps are encountered. They also occur in New Zealand, Papua New Guinea and near Pacific Islands and apparently colonised these areas from Australia. Birds in Backyards provides more data at: http://www.birdsinbackyards.net/species/Porphyrio-porphyrio . A similar species the Purple Gallinule ( Porphyrio martinica ) occurs in the Americas but has amongst other variations has a pale blue forehead.
Thanks for viewing
Best regards
Rod Warnock

Marina Scarr
03-27-2012, 06:31 PM
Great capture here Rod and I really like the pose. Wish the light hadn't been so harsh but you did well with the conditions. I wish the twigs behind the bird's tail weren't so bright b/c they detract a little bit. Love the way he has his foot out, almost as though he is modeling for you.

Robert Holguin
03-28-2012, 05:07 PM
Very nice shot. I really like the pose, especially how it placed its foot out. Very nice too.
Well done.