PDA

View Full Version : Screech Owl

Robert Strickland
03-26-2012, 06:37 PM
I found this Screech Owl in my Red Headed Woodpecker hole.

Canon EOS 7D with EF 500 fL IS lens with 1.4 extender
1/400, F7.1, -2/3, ISO 250

gail bisson
03-26-2012, 07:10 PM
Hi Robert,
Lucky you to have a new resident in your woodpecker hole. I have a pileated woodpecker nest from last year that is vacant and am hoping an owl moves in.
Your image is really nice. Good composition. I really like the holes in the wood and the pattern they produce. I would tone down the bright areas in the wood.I like the direct gaze and position of the body. A keeper for sure,
Gail

dankearl
03-26-2012, 07:34 PM
The Owl looks great. Very light for a Screech, maybe young?
I agree on toning down the wood but I really like this.

Marina Scarr
03-26-2012, 08:50 PM
You did a great job on this one, Robert. Agree on toning down the bottom portion of the tree b/c it takes away a little from your subject. Love the you placed him in the frame. You are so lucky to have this guy in a nearby nest. I have never even seen on in the wild. You did this one justice!!! Actually, I just realized that the way you photographed him makes the owl look bigger than he really is. It would be interesting to see a version where he looks his size.

Juan Carlos Vindas
03-26-2012, 09:13 PM
A must see owl! very nice indeed. Good suggestions about toning the tree down a bit. Lovely species, thanks for sharing.

Daniel Cadieux
03-27-2012, 09:41 AM
Looks like bright sunshine is not ideal for this nest (photography-wise)...I'm sure that cloudy / bright overcast would yield excellent results. I love the stare, and the fact that you seem to be at eye-level with the subject. Looking forward to more form your new neighbor!