PDA

View Full Version : Three toed Sloth

Richard Unsworth
03-26-2012, 01:25 PM
Hi

Finally getting round to checking out mammal shots from CR

This Sloth is wild ie not in sanctuary where it is very easy indeed to photograph them (see below note)
Capturing in the wild is a whole different ball game! Many folk visit and never see one ; you have to be sharp eyed or lucky!
This one is busy coming down to the ground for his weekly poop!

7D 100-400 Tripod, early morning light Ev +1.66 1/160 ISO 800 f 5.6

Fascinating creatures -- see the Sloth Sanctuary , Cahuita! (no connection - just a lovely morning out)

Steve Kaluski
03-26-2012, 03:33 PM
Hi Richard, I think you have done well in relation to the conditions, especially with having the subject backlit. You do like bright conditions don't you, LOL. :w3

Firstly I would look at more of a conventional 3x2 portrait (vertical 566 x 800px) format, clipping some of the RHS away. Try opening up if you can, the face to get a bit more detail, however I think it might start to add noise to the area. I have know idea what the colour of these animals should be, but whether its the light through the canopy, something in the process, but there does seem to be some greens & reds coming through in the fur. Be interested to know your thoughts. Got to love those claws.

TFS
Steve

Richard Unsworth
03-26-2012, 03:43 PM
Hi Steve

Green/brown red in fur is expected; there is algae that grows on the fur;each hair has a groove in which the blue green algae is found in the rainy season the algae multiplies rapidly givivng the animal a mossy green appearence!
When dry season this is more brown/reddish; this chap was captured just at the start ogf the rains. somehow the light is never good to me haha
I will look at the crop
more pics to come, Howler Monkeys etc, thanks for posting

Steve Kaluski
03-26-2012, 03:51 PM
Thanks for the in depth info Richard, really helps to understand the image far more and good BKG knowledge to the species.

more pics to come, Howler Monkeys etc, thanks for posting

This should be an interesting week. :S3: :S3:

cheers
Steve

Morkel Erasmus
03-26-2012, 04:07 PM
Great sighting in the wild and well captured under challenging conditions. Thanks for explaining the green glow.
I think some careful work on toning down brightest highlights in the sky and lifting shadow detail on the sloth (particularly the face) would enhance the image. :t3

This one is busy coming down to the ground for his weekly poop!

Sounds like my dad! :w3:Whoa!:

Richard Unsworth
03-26-2012, 04:32 PM
Hi Morkel

Come to think of it I have one like that too:S3:
will look at the shadows; I will cheeck out more photos of them, only just got round to these
tfp

Steve - Iguanas too!