PDA

View Full Version : Ice and fog - Lake Superior

mikedewitt
03-25-2012, 09:01 PM
We broke ice with a canoe to get to this location on Chequamegon Bay, Lake Superior yesterday evening. The fog was just beginning to roll in when I made this image.

5DMKII, 24mm, f/22, 1/20, ISO 800

The wind switched directions today, and all the ice blew out of the bay - nothing but open water here now...

Rachel Hollander
03-26-2012, 09:12 PM
Mike - I like the large ice crystals on the rhs and the overall comp. Not sure if it would have been stronger with more water in front of them or seeing where they hit the water. Pleasing pastel colors too. Maybe the slightest bit of cw rotation?

TFS,
Rachel

Jay Gould
03-26-2012, 10:58 PM
Very nice. I would definitely crop it down close to the clouds and make a pano. The sky is blank and too much negative space; the crop would allow the ice foreground anchor to pop more.

Morkel Erasmus
03-27-2012, 06:46 AM
Mike, my first thought echoes what Rachel said - I want to see the bottom of that large ice crystal, and where it touches the water! :t3
I agree with Jay's crop suggestion...but in terms of composition I feel this is a bit heavy on the RHS. If that little rocky island in the distance was just more to the LHS it would 'balance' it out a bit better, don't you think? :e3

I would also play with lifting some shadow detail here, particularly in the rock wall on the RHS, and adding some midtone contrast.

mikedewitt
03-27-2012, 10:19 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions. Jay, I like your idea to crop lower. I made several other images (some portrait) with the bottom of the ice crystal included, but in all of those frames, there was movement in the small, floating shards of ice in the foreground. There was a small bit of current that made things... tricky.